3000sf Reef Project

hey my uncle just got power back yesterday too.

He's another masoner. LOL

Glad to hear everything is ok...

i really really need to come in and see that tank. Maybe a frag or two too.... =).

The deck is about 80% done but we stopped working on it once it started to get below freezing at night - couldn't get the waterproofing down on the fresh wood anymore.

We have 14kW Guardian (Home Depot Generac) - fully automatic, works great. We seemed to be burning through 25-30g of LP per day. According to the consumption numbers in the manual, that's about half capacity. I ran the tank alone on a 6500W portable two years ago with no trouble.

I'll do some new pics after the holiday. Not much has changed, just a bit less swimming room. So yeah, if anyone's in the area, come get some cuttings.

I'll probably be in the area sometime later this week, or next week Jason if you will be around...

i can shoot you a pm when i know anything for sure and we could probably work something out...

We've been chipping away at the basement expansion and it's finally starting to look like something:
IMG_3351.jpg

All of the tanks and tubs are installed with most of the plumbing done. Next on the list is to get the return pump(s) and drill the lower sump tub for the bulkheads. Once that's done, I should be able to fill the system from the hose and test it out.

A Lumenarc reflector is sitting in the frag tank for eventual installation above.

Hey Jason -- looks like you have been busy! Did you do all of the bypasses on each tank like we talked about? I really like it! I love my basement room -- just spent a lot of time organizing yesterday with all kinds of plastic containers. You are going to be so happy when you get this running. The space is great!

We've been chipping away at the basement expansion and it's finally starting to look like something:
IMG_3351.jpg

All of the tanks and tubs are installed with most of the plumbing done. Next on the list is to get the return pump(s) and drill the lower sump tub for the bulkheads. Once that's done, I should be able to fill the system from the hose and test it out.

A Lumenarc reflector is sitting in the frag tank for eventual installation above.

wow...I aspire to have a setup like that in my fish room....someday.

Jason,

The setup looks great.

Are you still using the AquaC 240? We talked a while back and I questioned whether that would be a big enough skimmer for your system. I have a AC240 on my 180 and I've often wondered about trading up. If you still have the AC240, and are satified with the results, what pump are you running it with?

I live on the Townsend side of Groton, just down the street from the Townsend High School. I go to the driving range in Mason all the time. Someday I'd love to come by and see your setup.

Gary

Thanks all. It's been a slow process and a lot of work but I like the way it's turning out. With the amount of time and effort I've put into the system over the years, I figure it's worth going the extra mile (or two...or three) to do everything just right. So a custom stand built like a tank with three coats of exterior white sitting on an epoxy floor means it all takes longer but never having to stay, "Gee, I wish I would have done....."

I didn't do as my bypass paths as I had originally designed. It came down to thinking about which ones I would really use and how straight-forward the plumbing was. Ultimately, I ended up with just two switches. The valve on the far side of the 65g tank can be opened to divert water from the frag tank directly into the large tub below (still need to connect that one below the stand). Doing this bypass will settle the surface of the water in the frag tank so it'll be easier to see what is in there from time to time. The other is for water changes where the valve leading into the large water change tub can be closed, diverting water coming out of the frag tank through the sloped pipe draining into the end sump tank. I'll put a valved drain near the bottom of the water change tank so I can empty that right through the drain in the floor then fill it with RO and mix up new salt water. When it's ready, just open the bypass valve and it'll mix with the system - no fuss, no muss, no extra trash cans of make-up water.

I am still using the EV240 and plan to continue with it in the top 30g tank once this sump system is online. I'm driving it with a Mag12 which is a bit undersized but it keeps the system clean. My bioload is relatively low for a 180g reef though - about 8 fish, most less than 2". I like the wet pump because it's easy and can't leak on the floor so I may bump it up to a Mag14 so I don't have to choke off the output as much. Currently I'm only cleaning the cup every three weeks-ish.

You're right down the street in Mason scale Gary, drop me a line if you want to set something up. That'll give me a reason to scrape the glass.

wow...I aspire to have a setup like that in my fish room....someday.

Kim saw the pic of the downstairs setup and was impressed... I of course said mine would look like that when we get a house :p

Wow that was amazing, Im wondering how I am going to feel about it in 4hrs when I have to get up for work. Top notch
Derek

Back