.35 diurnal ph swing

cilyjr

Chris
I go from 8.01 to about 8.36 daily. I am wondering if a swing in that area is a big one or average.

Thing is I run over night to combat it...
Outside air pumped in from lights out to lights on. Reverse lighting on chaeto bucket. And kalk from lights out to lights on.

My skimmer pulls outside air 24/7.

From my understanding , ph swings at low ph are less harmful than at high ph. Something to do with the value ramping up as it goes up more then set number.
Only thing you could add at night ( which I have no idea on how todo it only at night) is a co2 scrubber. You have all the others covered

I know I've seen swings larger than that. If your 180 has a lot of active growth / photosynthisis then I suspect that the reverse daylight ref and lights out kalk drip are not enough to completely eliminate the swing. I'd say your PH is acting just like it should. That said, what's your alk?

Following. I'm curious about ph stability myself.

The stable alk is def a good thing.

Any visual effects from the ph swinging?

I'm not sure about visual effects. Most stuff is fine. I had some minor stn on a couple things but have also been aggressively dealing with cyano which I hit with a LG dose of chemiclean and left the lights off for a few days. And the event showed about 7 to 9 days after.

I talked to some friends out side of the forum and we all think the swing is pretty average

Back