60g cube tank build

funny barry, Im not going down this road for hopefully a long time.

good luck with your build/new tank.

not sure when the tanks will see water but soon, either this weekend or next. all depends on when I can get my landscaping done.

Update

Took a vacation day to try and get some work done on the tank after seeing I lost 3 more colonies in my 75g. So...got it all plumbed, 25g h2o made, put the black back on, hung the lighting and did a few other small things. I thought Id have more time today but just going to end up taking more vacation time to finish the transfer. few pics of the progress:

new spot in the house
DSCF6415.jpg

putting on the black backing and bulkheads
DSCF6420.jpg

had to cut out the holes in the back panel for the drains/return
DSCF6422.jpg

plumbing pic
DSCF6423.jpg

I painted all the pvc black so it looked alittle more uniform with everything else.
hung the lumen bright and wired it up. still have to hook it up to the RK2
DSCF6438.jpg

another pic after the radium bulbs color started to level off.
DSCF6442.jpg

Looking good man...very nice set up...youve got tons of room in that stand... you going to put in a calc reactor??

i have a pm kalk reactor and a top off setup. going to make a shelf for storage. still kinda working it out.

Looking good! With the return so low under the water level what are you going to do about the water siphoning into your sump when the power goes out? I know check valves work fairly well, but counting on one sounds like trouble.

That AC behind the light is distracting...I keep looking at it instead of the tank. Maybe that won't happen when the tank is full of corals. Should be easy to keep the tank cool with it right infront of the ac, the heaters might have to kick on:eek: when the AC is going.

I should have mine in a couple weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks guys.

ive never had a problem with one of those true union check valves. thanks for jinxing me Barry ! Im going to have a ball valve to close it off during maintainance but the check should work fine. I didnt like the look of decreasing the overflow to add a return plus it would decrease surface skimming.

as for the A/C, there isnt much I could do unless I wanted to stick the tank in a corner or back bedroom. Atleast the tank wont need a chiller or fans.

Looks great, i think I'm going to do my returns the same way, i wonder how many people in the club have used check valves?

Wow great job.....I too just downgraded froma 75 to a 37 and had the same thing happen at the end of the 75, i kind of neglected the tank and had some losses.good luck with the rest of the build.............-Mike-

i have some on my camera but im going to bed in 5 minutes. its running but only 90% complete. ill post tomorrow. good night.

cant promise the best pics seeing I have a POS camera. it was a slow process and I ran out of salt h20 (thanks john) right after I bought a box of salt :rolleyes: but better slow without a problem than hastely ruining what is left of these corals. Theyve been through so much with my neglected 75, Id hate to stress them out even more with a huge alk swing. Which reminds me...I run my alk at 8.5-9 dkh and the IO salt was testing out at 11.6-12.0 dkh...is that normal? when I did my last big WC the alk was 9.6ish not 12ish. anyone else have problems with high alk using instant ocean?

Back