60g cube VS. 75Hg cube VS. 93g cube Pros/Cons

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
So I have a 30"x30" square spot in the living room of my new house set aside specifically for my next reef tank. Now before ya'll get too excited, next could mean tomorrow, or it could mean next year. Lol. I'm trying to figure out the Pros and Cons to each size mentioned. What types of fish can I keep in a 75H or 93 cube that I can't keep in a 60g cube? I know the obvious Pro of more room for more or larger corals, and the Cons of having to buy potentially more sand, rock, salt, and make up more water. But then there's the Pro of having more wager volume per fish and coral. I just want some opinions and options to run with to aid in my decision.

I know a tang of any species is likely out of the question in even a 93g cube, so at that point are there even any fish that can't go in a 60g cube that would fit in a 93g? If I go 60 I'll probably just do 75XH column because it's the same footprint. Though I can find 60g cubes used all the time for cheap, yet another Pro. Lol.

Shorter could potentially mean less expensive lighting, at least to reach the lower regions of the tank.

Overall in a 93g you'd be able to have more quantity of fish, though the appropriate species would probably be about what would work in the other cubes.

If i were you. I probably do a 93g and not the 60. The 60g is tall and not a whole lot of room for anything

Thats what i thought when i went from my 27g cube to the 60g cube. Then you fill it in, and find yourself in the same position as the prior, not enough room haha.

I should add that I already have a 27" Maxspect Razor and would be getting a second one to run tandem.

Quantity of fish I'm not concerned with really anyways. I'm more of a coral kinda guy. More into types of fish. Though a trio of anthias would be pretty awesome.

Do any if you think one single Maxspect Razor R420R 27" could handle a 60g?

Last edited:
For fish. A pair of chromis should be okay in either the 60g cube . Yoi should be able to have tang in the 93g for sure.

For fish. A pair of chromis should be okay in either the 60g cube . Yoi should be able to have tang in the 93g for sure.
Keep in mind tangs use tank length, not height. A 93g is only 30x30. 30" is NOT a good length of run for a tang. Tangs need at minimum a 48" length of swimming in one one direction or another.

So you went from 5g pico to a 40g glasscage breeder and now planning to go with a cube? I one time had a 60g but not that easy to stack the rocks. The 93 sure give you some room to work with.
As far.as.the light. Your light worked on your 40g breedrr so it should work for both 60/93 cube.

So you went from 5g pico to a 40g glasscage breeder and now planning to go with a cube? I one time had a 60g but not that easy to stack the rocks. The 93 sure give you some room to work with.
As far.as.the light. Your light worked on your 40g breedrr so it should work for both 60/93 cube.
I still have the 5g Pico, and now also a 10g Nano. I downgraded from the 40g Breeder to my 16g Nuvo (still have that too) when I moved into my old apartment due to lack of space and general frustration revolving around that tank. But now that I have a house I want to get back to larger tanks. I realistically have a spot in the 2nd bedroom for a 220g if I wanted to, but I prefer my tanks to be in plain view, so the living room it is. And then again, in the living room I could fit a standard 75g, but I chose the other corner for a cube so that I can put in a sectional couch and still fit the cube tank beside it. Reefs are great, but sectional couches are better. Lol.

Back