92 gal bf corner tank build

not positive, i think it's about 1/3 of the sump size, though the sump of course wont be full.

could i just turn the return pump off if i need to, or turn off the valve for the return?

You can't turn off the return pump, because then the tank will stop draining. But what bitingthesun suggested will work. You don't get as high a percentage of water change, because you're removing some clean water with the dirty water, but it's pretty minor.

If you have 100g total volume, and you are doing a 10 gallon water change, it would be a 10% change if you first removed 10g, and then added 10g of new saltwater. If you simultaneously add and remove 1 gallon, you'll have about 0.99 gallons of new water in the tank. The second time you do it, you'll add another 0.98g of new water, the third time 0.97g and so on. So, at the end, by in a sense doing 10 consecutive 1% water changes, you remove 9.45 gallons of the old water (and 0.55 gallons of your new water), so it's a 9.45% water change.

Now how was that for nit-picky! I guess I got a little caught up in the math. :D Anyways, it's not perfect, but it's not bad.

Nate

Cool thanks Nate, I tried cutting down on the redundant changing since the water we're removing is coming off the overflow. We don't have a ton off flow going through the sump anyway.

it's cool to see that math thanks

any opinions on our powerhead choice?

too much?

Too much? No such thing if the sand put. :D I haven't tried the Koralias, so I can't comment. Is this an SPS tank? If yes, then let 'er rip.

thanks nate, i realized after i put that post up that it didnt make sense.

the powerheads bitingthesun mentioned are like 3 times the recommended water flow for a tank this size lol. at least we dont have to worry about not having enough.

i love stonies, so im glad they will be happy :D

more pics!

ok, kind of redundant pic, but this shows that we have water in there now! lol. also displays the wonderful light that was put under there by the previous owner. great little touch.

it's been "cycling" for a couple of weeks now. starting to get a little color on the bare rock.

Attachments

• under sump with light.jpg
    under sump with light.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 118
here are two pics of the tonga shelf rock that we purchased from Marco Rock. amazing pieces. too bad we switch aquascaping ideas! we now have one large rock about to show up any day now. i think it's 50 lbs? we are going to slice it down the middle and put one half on either side of the tank to give the effect that you are actually between two larger rocks, like a clip from a pic in the ocean. or some such thing. path running between them, etc. sorry the water was still foggy at the time i took the pic.

Attachments

• marco rock 1.jpg
    marco rock 1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 115
  • marco rock 2.jpg
    marco rock 2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 104
Back