A simple Sump & Refugium system

Nice looking setup....I'm trying to put together a DYI sump and have been experimenting with some setups options/choices over the last month or so and just have a few questions.

Can I assume the display tank this sump is intended for is a dual drain setup because of the two pvc lines coming into the sock?? If not, what are those two lines for? Also is that a check valve on the output of the return pump? If so, do you find that useful, necessary, or a cleaning hindrance in any way?? With mounting the pumps and skimmer externally that way, have you ever run into problems with leaks, cracks, or other problems with bumping or moving the different pieces? And do you use any type of leak sensors or other protective measures for externally positioned equipment?

Nice looking setup....

thank you

Can I assume the display tank this sump is intended for is a dual drain setup because of the two pvc lines coming into the sock?? If not, what are those two lines for?

You can do one drain, two drains or as many you want, it depends how big is your tank and how many over flow you have. The sock is the best way to catch allot of stuff, I recommend that you change the sock once a week. Make sure you turn inside out to free the critters. Then wash it with just ½ cup of bleach only.

Also is that a check valve on the output of the return pump?
If so, do you find that useful, necessary, or a cleaning hindrance in any way??

Yes, it is a check valve it is very useful equipment. When you loose power or went to shut the main pump, the water in the return line does not drain back or siphon water from your main tank back into the sump and end up a overflow problem. It very easy to clean, plus when put a check valve I go a bigger size.

With mounting the pumps and skimmer externally that way, have you ever run into problems with leaks, cracks, or other problems with bumping or moving the different pieces?

It hard to say it will never happen, as long you seal properly and leave the equipment a lone. Except when you need to clean the pumps and be careful when you clean the protein skimmer and the pumps. I recommend on the return line after the pump you should put a long rubber hose for damper. It limited the vibration. I like external equipment for many reason but the best one is less heat in the water, easier to service the equipment.

And do you use any type of leak sensors or other protective measures for externally positioned equipment?

No, I do not use any sensors. So far, of all the set up I have done so far no problem except for one, I should use a 40-gallon long instead of 33-gallon long. I told the person to let me change it, but we manage to adjust the float switch to make it work. The main thing is you need to calculate how much water it going to drain when the power is off, than calculate how much water you need when the system is running. If you look at the sump/refugium you will see that the wall for the refugium is only 6” in height and the float switch sit up 2” above the wall. So when the power is off the water level goes up 10 to 12 inch height, the tank is only 16” height. In addition, you have to make sure all your connection are tight and seal proper.

If you like to see the system I have, you are welcome to come over and look at it. And that goes with every one who like to see it. :)

Daniel

What an awesome set up. If you dont mind me asking where did you get that check valve on the return pump? I need one for my Cichlid tank.
Thanks in advance.

What an awesome set up. If you dont mind me asking where did you get that check valve on the return pump? I need one for my Cichlid tank.
Thanks in advance.

Any LFS they should have it, i got mine at SeaCreature in N.Prov, RI

Daniel, very nice setup... I like the 40 long, that is what I used for a basement sump on my 72. It was my first time siliconing anything, so yours looks much cleaner :), but mine did the job well. It is a nice sized tank to work with ( plus i got mine free)

Thanks for sharing this!!

-Brian

Daniel, very nice setup... I like the 40 long, that is what I used for a basement sump on my 72. It was my first time siliconing anything, so yours looks much cleaner :), but mine did the job well. It is a nice sized tank to work with ( plus i got mine free)

Thanks for sharing this!!

-Brian

Your welcome, I silicone the glass around 11:30 pm, I was haft a sleep :D

I am going to set up a 300-gallon reef tank with a big sump/refugium system. I will post when I get it done or maybe take picture on step-by-step of how to do it.

Back