A simple Sump & Refugium system

DLCanuck

The Canuck
Here is a simple sump and Refugium system. It 40-gallon long tank with Gen-X 4 pump for return. It as a swing check valve on top of the return pump. A PM Bullet-2 with another Gen-X 4 for the protein skimmer. This going to fit inside of a 150-gallon tank stand, the dimension inside is 72" x 17 1/2" wide. The float valve is set at 8” from the bottom of the tank. The two separate walls for Refugium are 6” high. The first chamber for drainage, the wall is set at 11” from the right and sit up 2 ¾” high. The first wall for the Refugium is set at 13” from the right. On the return side, the second wall for the Refugium is set at 11” from the left. The return chamber wall is set at 9 ½” from the left and sit up 1 ½” high. Here are some pictures of the sump and Refugium system.

Any question fill free to ask.

Daniel :)

Attachments

• Full view.jpg
    Full view.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 502
Right side with out the sock

Attachments

• Right side with out the sock.jpg
    Right side with out the sock.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 469
Hi Daniel,
that looks excellent! Check that float valve though...I have the same type and yours appears to be mounted wrong. It looks like you have a horizontal model mounted vertically. If you look at it in that last picture, the left side of that float should be the bottom (if I'm not mistaken).

looks good Daniel. what are you going to grow in the fuge? mangroves?

btw-looks like the float is ok to me. looks like it lifts up and stops the flow.

Hi Daniel,
that looks excellent! Check that float valve though...I have the same type and yours appears to be mounted wrong. It looks like you have a horizontal model mounted vertically. If you look at it in that last picture, the left side of that float should be the bottom (if I'm not mistaken).

Hi Smcnally
Thank you, the float check valve is set for vertical and/or horizontal. It works better on vertical position. On vertical position, the pressure will close quicker when the pump shut off. I set it up this system for some one yesterday and working very good. He says he never saw his tank water that clear. Thank you for noticing the details.

looks good Daniel. what are you going to grow in the fuge? mangroves?

btw-looks like the float is ok to me. looks like it lifts up and stops the flow.

Hi Steve
The person I set up for, he going to put just plants, no mangrove. He has 28” of height under the tank. BTW, say hi to your folk and congratulate on the newborn.

That looks like an excellent design. I have one thought though and please correct me if I am wrong here (not a plumbing expert). I dont think you are supposed to use a ball valve before the intake to your return pump, as it can cause problems very quickly. I was always told to restrict the output with a ball valve, not the input. Am I wrong here?

Yikes, what a sweet setup. I have to capture the pics so when the time comes for me to build a new sump/fuge this is my prime model for a DIY project. A nice rock solid design. I'll make use of a 55 gal I have.

Looks awesome. I'm planning the same thing. Same pumps even.
Just wish I could drill glass.

Great work!!

That looks like an excellent design. I have one thought though and please correct me if I am wrong here (not a plumbing expert). I dont think you are supposed to use a ball valve before the intake to your return pump, as it can cause problems very quickly. I was always told to restrict the output with a ball valve, not the input. Am I wrong here?

I think thats for cleaning. so he can cut the water off and undo the union to take the pump out.

I think thats for cleaning. so he can cut the water off and undo the union to take the pump out.

Steve your right,
You can shut the valve if you need to service the pumps or protein skimmer with out draining the sump out or shut the system.

I been doing this layout for over seven to nine years for many people, every one are very happy with it.

Nocturnal,
if you need the glass drill, let me know. You can drop off the tank and I can get it drill out for you. There were four holes at 1¾”, one hole at 2” for protein skimmer and a 5/8” hole for the float switch. In addition, four-glass cut to sizes, the cost came to $140.00 incase you like to know what the cost.

Back