Acans Question

Renato

Reef Addicted
My Acans were looking nice but now they are not puffy anymore.

Where is te best place to put them?
Sand or Rock?

With metal halides I would keep them on the sand bed, another thing to check is your alk, I've found acans like higer alk, check to see if you're at least in the 8dkh-10dkh range.

They can take a moderate flow, no need to be blasted, try to bring your alk up a little higher to see if that helps, if not try to put them in a area of the tank that has some shading from the light.

My acans love it on the sandbed. I put the LE's/ultra's/rainbows in a little bit of shading to help them keep their coloring. I've heard that intense lighting can change their colors and I've had an acan do that...

I find that 14k is not alot of light...put the acan up higher if you find the flow thing is not the problem...feed them regularly too

hey guys.. i have an acan frag with 3 polyps on it.. it looked content when i picked it up and now im scared that it looks funny.. its still got its colors but im just a little nervous.. im in the process of switching tanks right now from a 55 to a 40B and i was just wondering what lighting is the minimal requirement for it to be happy?

I've heard from B that acans can survive under the normal crappy lights that come with an AGA tank, granted they won't look that good... PC's would be fine but I have mine under T5's and they look great... MH's would work too but you'd have to make sure they didn't get too much light...

200 PAR and they should keep their colors. here is what a guy who keeps the most beautiful acan i have ever seen wrote to me. (see my new who loves ACANs post)

-----------------------
I would have to say my par currently is about 200....and thats running on 22k T5's for months now (save on electric bill=)...) but i also put a pice of egg crate over the area they are in....but thats easy to do because they are all in a shallow frag tank.

I think that an intense blue actually brings out better colors too...not just better looking under blue, but better all around.

I would stick then as low as you can.

these things are in 30-90 feet in the wild. So they are really only getting blue light at that depth.

I have my acans in 185 PAR (via clubs light meter) and I've heard that they like more blue in the light which is prob why I'm such a huge fan of the ATI blue + bulbs; plenty of PAR and acan friendly!!!

cool.. maybe it was because they were just waking up then that they looked a little funny.. ive got PC's and they are up high so i guess i should just move them down then.. maybe they are getting too much light?

I would have to agree with checking the flow. I have had mine deflate for no apparent reason and then I moved the flow away and they puffed back out. I think it also helped to feed them.

Back