Activated carbon in a mixed reef?

fishmommy

Non-member
Should I be using activated carbon in my sump all the time, or just when there's a pissed off coral event?

Sent from my gadget using Trippytalk HD

This is an interesting topic. You will get both side sim sure so I'll share what I do. I run a small amount 24/7. Not sure if it is necessary but my tank seems to be running good so I'll keep it up until I find otherwise.

I have always passively run carbon (Just in a media bag and tossed it in the sump) off and on with no issues. I recently tried running it in a 2 Little Fish reactor and didn't have success with it. My Aussie Neon Green Leather closed up and wouldn't open up for a week until I stopped the reactor.

Not sure why. I have used it a couple of times since for a day or two after fragging a lot of Zoas/Pallys though with no issues.

Higor

I always run carbon on all the systems. It clears up the water and make it crystal. Water coloration has significant impact on light penetration.

Carbon does keep the water clean and that is why people sometimes see a negative reaction to adding carbon because the "light gets stronger" per say. I run about a cup in my 120 and change it once a month. I either use Seagel (carbon and phosphate) or the rox .08 carbon from BRS.

I keep a poly pad on had incase things get hairy.

And if nothing is going wrong they are a very expensive alternative. Good to have on hand just in case, but probably not practical as an ongoing filtration option.

Oh yeah......It is for emergeny situations.......most expensive "pad" out there!

Yes I do understand. Carbon ongoing, poly for emergencies. Thanks!

Sent from my gadget using Trippytalk HD

Back