Activated carbon and HLLE

cilyjr

Chris
So it seems to me that not many people have heard of this or don't really seem to care but there have been two scientific studies linking the use of activated carbon and head and lateral line erosion. They both showed the same results that seem to confirm that running active carbon in a system can cause HLLE.

since I stopped running carbon about 4 months ago I've noticed my yellow tang actually getting better. He was not as bad as many tangs I've seen and I doubt it will ever heal completely but I wanted to share.

Here is the advanced aquarist article from 2011. This article links to the others
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/activated-carbon-affirmed-as-causative-agent-for-hlle-disease

I've had it happen before too after my carbon got all crushed up due to tumbling but I didn't stop the carbon, rather I made sure the good had vitamin and selcon mixed in it and fed lots of nori, cleared up nicely,

I think you're right though, most people ignor the studies

Yeah, that's why i stopped using carbon years ago. Ned from Ned's fish factory was telling me about it long ago as a suspicion to why i had such a bad deformed batch of Geophagus Tapajos Red heads when i use to breed them. Only tank i ran carbon on was that particular grow out tank.

Isn't carbon really only effective for up to 6 days of use as well?

According to the studies, they said HLLE might caused by the fine carbon particles, that means it is not the chemical properties of GAC cause HLLE but fine dust in aquarium grade GAC.

I use lab grade carbon and rinse it thoroughly. A hippo tang that used to have HLLE now is all healed and I have been using carbon for years.

Strat voltage def. causes this . in any case salt tanks are supposed to eventually be "self sustaining " we all know thats not totally true , but they can be run very simply I believe

I always used the cheap stuff. I will keep some on hand in case of an emergency but will only run it if there is a problem.

I always used a pretty low flow reactor. So I don't know.

I use Two Little Fishies Hydrocarbon 2, and have been for at least 2 years. Slow flow through a TLF 150 reactor for my 125 tank. I replace it in conjunction with a water change. Change out the carbon, run the reactor into a 5 gallon bucket until there is no hint of black in the effluent. Two Tangs with no signs of HLLE.

Yes don't use low grade carbon cause the dust is the problem. Also, don't tumble the high grade stuff either! The rox .08 is perfect in the brs reactor as the flow mashed it against the top and holds it there.

Yes don't use low grade carbon cause the dust is the problem. Also, don't tumble the high grade stuff either! The rox .08 is perfect in the brs reactor as the flow mashed it against the top and holds it there.

Doesn't it clog up on you? I have been using it, and hating it. It is great for a week, and then the flow slows down to a trickle. I have tried it in a dual brs reactor, and single brs reactor, and a two little fishes reactor, all with the same results.

I have a hippo, purple, and yellow tang, and never had an issue with HLLE, and its been over four years.

Derek

+1^ I have had a few different tangs and have always used Gac. I use Rox carbon in a reactor and never had a problem with Hlle. Dust and fines can be avoided if your careful.
If you don't use carbon very often then it really isn't that expensive to get Rox. I change mine out often but I think the quality of Rox is still well worth the $$...

Doesn't it clog up on you? I have been using it, and hating it. It is great for a week, and then the flow slows down to a trickle. I have tried it in a dual brs reactor, and single brs reactor, and a two little fishes reactor, all with the same results.

I have a hippo, purple, and yellow tang, and never had an issue with HLLE, and its been over four years.

Derek

I don't seem to have a clogging issue although i change it out every 1-2 weeks so maybe that is why. I don't fill it up either.

it prevents the grinding which i think is the main point/cause for the HLLE

As stated above I feel that it's more the dust particles that make HLLE come out. I use rox carbon and have used carbon on every aquarium I have ever had. Common theme I have found to cause HLLE the most? High nitrate, stray voltage, stress (from aggression or to small of a tank), and poor diet.

Well I'm out as far as activated carbon. I'll keep it on hand but will only run it in an emergency.
I've not been running carbon for a while and I've been very happy of late tank wise, though for unrelated reasons. No carbon has not hurt me

Back