activated carbon question

pyro

Non-member
Hello all. I'm just curious about activated carbon and the benefits it may have on my tank if I added some. So my question is this: if I went and bought a bottle/jug of it, could I put it in a mesh bag and let the mesh bag float around the tank? Would this be an efficient way of using the carbon? Possibly enveloping the carbon in a coffee filter, making a "packet" to put somewhere in a high flow area? If I did use activated carbon, would it help to remove nitrates, from 20 ppm to say, 15-10 ppm? Would it also help to "soak up" nutrients/organic compounds? My tank is only a 10 gallon with LR/sand , and the stock hang on back filter filter for water movement

I dont think that carbon will reduce nitrates. I suppose if hung the bag in a high flow area submerged it would help but not as efficient as having the water flow though it when suspended...maybe do what u suggest with a HOB filter?

I used to use chaeto in my display tank to lower nitrates I tied it to an upper back corner of the tank where it grew pretty well.

im pretty sure just letting it float around your tank wont do anything and would probably be worse for you. maybe just get another HoB to run just carbon or pull everything out of the HoB and run just chaeto in it...

Carbon doesn't need in a high flow area because of the way it attracts particle. Of course, you don't want it in.a dead area either. I just throw mine in the sump, inside a filter bag.
Also, be careful because a lot of carbon will add phosphate. Look for the containers that say "phosphate free".

you should use carbon sparingly in reef aquaria just my 2 cents

and if you do reactor .....canister filter or sump in high flow

I used chaeto but there's a catch to it. It was dead in about a week, and it takes forever to start absorbing nutrients. I have to upgrade my clean up crew, I know that for a fact. I'm not looking for a quick fix by any means guys, just a way to help out my efforts a little bit..

Will any one be willing to help me build a refugium? I have a 10 gal as my DT but also have a 3.5 gal tall.. I have no idea where to even start with the plumbing.. I don't want to drill holes but maybe I can buy pumps and tubes.. I don't know about how many gph I should have running from a 10 gallon tank through a 3.5 then back to the 10.. ill post a pick of the 3.5 if some one can tell me how to

I thought about using a hob fuge but I feel a separate tank is more practical to use as a refugium.. it would be used for pods and if I could find small enough lights, a small frag tank.. I plan on obtaining quite a few mini bristle stars, to aid in cleaning the tank once i get it cycled.. then some how I need to figure out how to get excess food to be channeled into the 3.5 to feed the mini bristles and the pods.. maybe I could look at lowes or home depot for small powerful led lights then I could keep a small colony of xenia in there for nutrient export..

Back