Best option for adding UV spectrum to a LED system

RMc

Non-member
I'm stuck in a bit of a dilemma - I have a relatively full spectrum LED setup, but my lowest wavelength is still 430nm ("Hyper Violet"). I'm a believer in giving coral most of what they'd receive in the wild and at least UV-A is a part of that equation. There are "True Violet" (400nm) led's available that slope down to 370nm or so but I'm not sure that this is an efficient "UV" source. Is there any other option (T5 or otherwise) that might be a bettter, cheaper, more efficient source of UV radiation?

I built two T5's around my radions to accomplish this. The corals light up pretty well!

What's the spectrum on the T5's?

I have a little clamp on E35 fixture that would work for a little spiral CFL. Home Depot / Walmart has some blacklight specific CFL's. The spectral output is not readily available though so I'm not sure what I'd be getting into. Some tests of Feit and "Spencer gift" bulbs put the output between 350-420 with a peak around 380. Still - wouldn't be getting anything in the upper 200's low 300's.

Last edited:
I bought a reptisun UV bulb. Going to try running it for a few hours a day and see if there are any dramatic changes.

RMc
Thanks for suggesting that article. It appears quite authoratative and informative. (I initially wrote "illuminating". But that's too obvious of a pun, even if unintentional.)
It's interesting how varied the Metal Halide transmission of UV-A and UV-B can be, especially with respect to bulb orientation (vertical vs. horizontal). The article also did not identify a single benefit from UV-A but cited several harmful consequences. So what are your reasons for wanting to increase radiation below 430 nm? I'm new to reef keeping and anxious to learn all I can.
Ralph

I run the geisseman true actinics, not sure of the spectrum but they claim its the only true actinic out there which provides the UV

IMO and what I know ... ... I cannot think of any advantages of exposing your corals/fish to UV radiation. PAR is what corals need for coloration and growth.

IMO and what I know ... ... I cannot think of any advantages of exposing your corals/fish to UV radiation. PAR is what corals need for coloration and growth.

Well, UV exposure has several known benefits in humans - UVB is essential for Vitamin D synthesis, UVA stimulates NO production. UV has similar benefits in reptiles. Having been on the earth for far longer, I'm sure fish and coral have certain adaptations to UV radiation. Further, humans - specifically Caucasians are sensitive to UV as we come from the north and spend most of our days in shelter, with clothing on, etc. Coral has no shelter - it sits in the sun all day long. Minimal UVA/B exposure won't do it much harm.

Quick question though, why would "PAR" be all corals need for coloration? Par is "Photosynthetically Active Radiation", it's a measurement of the portion of the spectrum necessary for photosynthesis.

You could sit under a Par38 LED all day - but you'd never get a tan.

Well, UV exposure has several known benefits in humans - UVB is essential for Vitamin D synthesis, UVA stimulates NO production. UV has similar benefits in reptiles. Having been on the earth for far longer, I'm sure fish and coral have certain adaptations to UV radiation. Further, humans - specifically Caucasians are sensitive to UV as we come from the north and spend most of our days in shelter, with clothing on, etc. Coral has no shelter - it sits in the sun all day long. Minimal UVA/B exposure won't do it much harm.

Quick question though, why would "PAR" be all corals need for coloration? Par is "Photosynthetically Active Radiation", it's a measurement of the portion of the spectrum necessary for photosynthesis.

You could sit under a Par38 LED all day - but you'd never get a tan.

I don't think a tan is what we are after here ...

Pls correct me if I am wrong .. and if I am I will go out and get some UV LEDs to supplement (Also don't wish to hijack this thread...) .. but this is just what I know/researched about it .. UV light is dangerous for all living organisms.. Most produce something or have something to protect themselves from it or filter it.. So I decided not to have it in my LED setup. PAR is used by the corals (yeh I know .. no comments here pls) to photosynthesize light into energy. Healthy coral needs PAR. Healthy coral is colorful... I don't have any problems, have great growth rates and lots of color without it. So it works for me not to include it in my setup.

This would be an interesting experiment however to put two identical frags on each side of the aquarium and supplement UV only to one side and observe the result. You got me thinking ...

There is a recent article on color and corals and to get the POP that everyone loves you need UVA and UVB. I had a radion pro on my tank for a year(supposedly has uv). I put a few blue plus and a purple plus on my tank and in two days the tank really changed.

RTC I think what many of us here are after is exactly a tan. We as people are not even photosynthetic organisms, but we change color in response to UV light by increasing melanin production. In response to blue light we cease production of melatonin. There are a host of other metabolic processes that occur in response to specific wavelengths of light. I have no doubt that coral will change color after introduced to UV light, the question is whether it will be a desirable change and how much UVA or UVB it would take.

Straight blue lights will grow coral, you probably don't even need white. Will they be healthy and colorful? Maybe... if that specific coral and hosted zooxanthellae can complete all its metabolic processes using only 455nm light. Would the coral change if exposed to a broader spectrum? Probably... What about a broader spectrum still? Why not...

In high doses UV is damaging, but it is absolutely essential in small doses. You yourself would live a less healthy life and die much earlier without UV exposure. Why wouldn't the same be true for coral?

PS: Halides have a protective coating, but still emit fairly significant amounts of UVB and even UVA

Last edited:
Added the Reptisun 10 last night and noticed an immediate reaction from the clownfish in the form of aggressive spawning behavior. I suspect that this may have been a reaction to a change in light rather than the UV spectrum.

As a pseudo scientific test of the effects of this bulb I have 2 frack racks set up, one under the bulb and one on the opposite side of the tank. On the frag rack I have a chunk of rasta zoanthids and a meteor shower colony. Right below the frags, under the UV light I have a patch of pink palythoa that I'm very familiar with. The light also reaches an Acan colony that has been a consistent color for the past 6 months in 2 different tanks, though it will not receive strong UV radiation.

+10 days - there has been no major color change in any of the coral under the broad spectrum UV light. Some however, like meteor shower have grown very quickly, but this may just be due to an increase in light intensity.

Back