Adding T5's to LED's

Platehead

Non-member
I am considering adding a 2 bulb T5 to supplement my SOL's. anyone running this combo? How are the results? Bulb recommendations?
Thx

I believe Higor is running his sols with t5s .. might want to ask him :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I am running 2 sols. And a 4 bulb t5 setup. I absolutely love the the coral colors and unbelievable growth. I did a lot of research about the sols before I bought them and found they lack a lot in spectrum. By adding the t5. I was able to add different bulbs to make up the difference to have a more full spectrum. I run ati bulbs. I have a coral+ a purple+ and 2 blue+. Just my t5 are enough on they're own to sustain many species of coral life but the sols make the colors pop so much more. I am 100% pro t5-led combos.

I'm also planning on upgrading my sols. I'm unsure to what though. Either Vegas or hydras. But I am happy with my results with the sols and t5

before you supplemented t-5 how did your corals look? Dull? Interested to hear the specific changes you encountered, Thanks- Kevin

I had a 6 bulb t5 before. I had good color but semi slow growth. So technically I added the led to my t5 and took out 2 t5 bulbs. I swear I can see daily growth on certain sps. Zoas are completely out of this world color wise and grow like wild fire. My lps needs to be trimmed monthly now. When I added the led I had them down at 30% and went up 5% weekly. I've stopped at 55% white. 70% blue 70% royal blue. I haven't experienced any I'll effects and I only have good things to say. I did have a very nice looking pocilopora that was multi colored. It had a yellow base with red and orange polyps it was beautiful. Since putting it in the combo it actually has turned blue. I talked to the person it originally came from and said that it was a blue pro. Lol. It's still nice but I did like the way it looked before

Yep -- if you aren't a huge diy / retrofit guy, Pacific Sun makes lamps with leds and t5 combo. Really really nice lamps. We have a couple of those hybrids here in use if you want to see them in action :)

- Archit

I believe Higor is running his sols with t5s .. might want to ask him :)

I have supplemented my AI Sols with T5s over a year ago and haven't looked back. Made a huge difference on coral colors and SPS. AI Sols alone are not ful spectrum lights, and they will change coral colors, specially SPS... Until I replace my lighting system some time in the very near future, this combo works perfectly! :)

I have been looking to go back to an all LED lighting system. Currently researching between a couple of "True" full spectrum LED lighting systems, the new AI Hydra 52 and Tritons S from Pacific Sun. Only reason I'm looking to do the switch is due to the glare, heat and power consumption of the T5s.

I currently run 4 54W T5s. 2 ATI Blue+ and 2 ATI Coral+.

Higor

Last edited:
I have supplemented my AI Sols with T5s over a year ago and haven't looked back. Made a huge difference on coral colors and SPS. AI Sols alone are not ful spectrum lights, and they will change coral colors, specially SPS... Until I replace my lighting system some time in the very near future, this combo works perfectly! :)

I have been looking to go back to an all LED lighting system. Currently researching between a couple of "True" full spectrum LED lighting systems, the new AI Hydra 52 and Tritons S from Pacific Sun. Only reason I'm looking to do the switch is due to the glare, heat and power consumption of the T5s.

I currently run 4 54W T5s. 2 ATI Blue+ and 2 ATI Coral+.

Higor

Would you consider the Radion Pro as a true full spectrum LED?

The radion pro is supposed to be full spectrum. Previous radions are not but they do have more colors in them than ai sols and most DIY setups.

Would you consider the Radion Pro as a true full spectrum LED?

Definitely. They are great lights.

I just crossed them out of my list due to price. For their price I rather go for the Tritons S. Pacific Sun has a pretty interesting technology that consists of no white LEDs, and yet they create white spectrum mixing the rest of colors available on them.

Higor

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:
Definitely. They are great lights.

I just crossed them out of my list due to price. For their price I rather go for the Tritons S. Pacific Sun has a pretty interesting technology that consists of no white LEDs, and yet they create white spectrum mixing the rest of colors available on them.
+1 on Pacific Sun

Back