adding nitrate

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
so im thinking of dosing nitrate. i cant get it to raise for the life of me. i have been over feeding for at least a month before my tank issues and still cant get them up. i took off my skimmer and filter sock and still has not risen even to 1ppm. so the next best thing i can think of is dosing it. i found this stuff online and wanted to see what you guys think before i buy it.

I was doing a little research tonight at work and saw the brightwell aquatics nitrogen additive. Lots of good reviews from what I found. Just for the record I don't dose it but my nitrates are generally low as well even with my heavily stocked 25 gallon that I feed 1-2 cubes a day...

I was doing a little research tonight at work and saw the brightwell aquatics nitrogen additive. Lots of good reviews from what I found. Just for the record I don't dose it but my nitrates are generally low as well even with my heavily stocked 25 gallon that I feed 1-2 cubes a day...

I will look at that thank you. What is up with the tanks now a days lol it seems like nobody can keep up the nitrates in a sps reef lol.

I just started adding the neotrate stuff from Brightwell. No movement yet but they say to go slow. Balance that with your PO4

I’ve been using the esv b ionic nitrate additive with good success, maintaining 5ppm nitrates now with dosing it. Start slow is the only advice I could give, don’t wanna shock the livestock with changes fast especially if you’re keeping acros ect.

If you start dosing nitrates, you should prepare to start dosing phosphate as well. Nitrate dosing probably will cause your phosphates to decrease rapidly, because currently your tank looks like it is nitrate-limited. If your phosphates go to zero during while dosing nitrates, that will be very bad for your corals. So, I recommend that you buy some sodium phosphate as well, and just test often for phosphates during the process, and then at some point start dosing them both.

I just started adding the neotrate stuff from Brightwell. No movement yet but they say to go slow. Balance that with your PO4

is this what you use?

I have and used Brightwell Neo Nitrate and Neo Phos in the past. Both worked as advertised and as others said start dosing slowly to avoid bottoming out po4.

I have found a source of nitrate until I can get my order in the mail lol. My 10g has 100ppm of nitrate I can take a gallon from it and add it to my 50(I will take out a gallon of water from the 50 as well). I'm going to do it now and see where it brings up my nitrates in the 50

These coral was hungry lol. After I added the 1g of 100ppm to the 50 I tested a hour later(1pm) and it read 5ppm. I just test now and now its reading at 0.20ppm. They ate that up fast.

I used to dose nitrate but found a better method of keeping nitrates and phosphates up.
And what's the way
187E954B-9453-432D-A28D-618A6121386E.jpeg

In all seriousness, I hate it when people say they have a better way to do something but won’t state what it is. This is an informative forum isn’t it?

I have been dosing ME Nitrate solution for quite a while to try and keep my levels detectable. I am currently dosing about 40 ml / week which is supposed to raise it 2PPM in a 100g tank. Works okay but as others have said above go slow! It will definitely decrease phosphate levels so be careful. I will be trying the Brightwell Neonitrate / Neophos after the ME product runs out.

Wow...I guess I'd never add either nitrate or phosphate to a healthy system. Maybe you guys just have super low fish loads or super good skimmers.

Wow...I guess I'd never add either nitrate or phosphate to a healthy system. Maybe you guys just have super low fish loads or super good skimmers.

I have 10 fish in my tank. I took of the skimmer, took out the filter sock, and even took out my chaeto. I still cant get nitrate or its building up very slowly. I dont really feed frozen food which I probably should start.

Before dosing nitrate, it is important to get a good nitrate test kit such as salifert or a hanna. I know one incident that a guy used API nitrate test kit and always getting 0 ppm. So he increased the dosage and coral started to look sad. When I tested his water with a Salifert nitrate test kit, the number was through the roof, it was estimated the nitrate level was above 200 ppm.

Back