Algae taking over tank

Solman

Non-member
I have bubble algae and a brown algae tha has consumed my tank. I have introduced emerald crabs, a lawnmower Benny and Turbo snails but no luck. This stuff is covering everything. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this?

Can you post a pic, and or give a more detailed description of the algae in question?

Is the bubble algae valonia, or a bubble calupera?
Is the brown algae most like; a mat, hair, slime, other?

here is a picture

Solman27

a pair of scissors, scrubbie pad, fine net and a ton of water changes are in order. Will probably take a couple days of elbow grease.

Won't be gone in a day, you'll have to work in stages. After the chunks are gone, you'll need to change how you do regular tank maintenance/feeding. You may need to rework your filtration too, what do you have for filtration/equipment?

The chunks removal wil be the first step, water quality/upkeep will be your next step.

Last edited:
That looks a lot like dinoflagellates. If so, water changes are not going to help, and may even feed it. Is that stuff slimy like snot when you touch it?

Read up on dinoflagellates. They don't act like any other nusiance algae. Generally the only things that are effective are raising the PH, and possibly going a few days with the lights out.

Dinos are strange. For some unknown reason water changes often seem to feed dinos (probably replenising some limiting factor), thus siphioning can become counterproductive because you have to replace the water you remove.

That said, siphioning is actually a pretty good litmus test for dinos because no other nusiance algae will come back anywhere near as quickly as dinos. For ex, cyano will come back gradually over a few days after a thourough siphioning. Dinos will be back in hours.

I'm not saying that it's definately dinos yet, but it sure looks likely. Touching and feeling will clarify, dinos feel like snot. Cyano feels like nothing.

I have something going on in my tank as well. I went almost 2years without any agae, and whamo. I got it everywhere. I am not 100% sure what type it is, but I am doing WC, and cutting way back on my feeding, re introduced a Sea hare, and hoping for the best.

I swear its something in the water;)

Yeah looks like Dinos to me. I would recommend lights out for 7-10 days if you can without losing any corals in your tank.. I also hear raising PH works well. Lights out worked for me.

Thanks for all lthe comments. I think it is dinoflagellates and I am going to try treating it with uping the PH. Will keep you posted on the outcome

FWIW using elevated PH requires that the PH be consistently elevated a bit beyond what would be seen in normal conditions.

For me, I picked up a dosing pump that was able to deliver just shy of my total daily evaporation in a continious kalkwater drip. Pricy, but it did the trick without blacking out the tank, and is a great piece of equipment to have anyway.

IMO, Ng gave you some good advice. I have often found that problems like this are a result of a long sustained build up of excess nutrients in the tank. You may want to rotate out some live rock. I have done this with great success. I always have a batch that cooks in the garage and, whenever needed, I simply swap it out. Excess food and other organic matter will settle deep with the rock. You may want to revisit the amount that you are feeding your livestock as well.

I have something going on in my tank as well. I went almost 2years without any agae, and whamo. I got it everywhere. I am not 100% sure what type it is, but I am doing WC, and cutting way back on my feeding, re introduced a Sea hare, and hoping for the best.

I swear its something in the water;)

As I have the same issue and I run NP pellets, do you think yours is related to the pellets?

My water temperature has been on the high side, above 80... anyone else with dino's/nuisance algea see consistent temp spikes?

Back