Am I experiencing a diatom bloom already>>

Yep Mark, there's another species of bacteria that can do the last step conversion from Nitrate to Nitrogen gas. That bacteria can only thrive in a microaerobic environment (very low oxygen), as found in a DSB and deep in the pores and crevices of live rock.

If you want more details you'll have to bring Matt Littman into it. I believe he studies these crud-eating bugs.

I mention it only because it's one thing to have your tank cycled. i.e., no traceable ammonia/nitrite. But it may take a bit longer to bring your nitrates to say < 1ppm, particularly if you do not use a fuge / macro algal export. Also during this process, you may see regular cyano/hair/diatom blooms.
I think Kevin knows enough to take it slow, but the newbie reading this thread may not.

I may be quite debatable since it's prettymuch a blind item. But in my opinion, your base rock will become more "live" over time, and will essentially have all the qualities of LR right out of the ocean in probably 6 months to a year (I'm really just guessing). I say this because I think live rock is very similar to live sand. My tank had a mixture of both live sand and "dead" sand when I started out. Over about 6 months time, it became indistinguishable.
Also, my "live" rock from Tampa Bay saltwater was actually once "dead" rock from the Bahamas, and when I got it, it had tons of life. I'd say 90% of the "life" on it died off over many years being in my tank. So does that somehow make my "live" rock "dead" again?
Anyhow Kevin, my advice is to take it slow, and you will be fine.

Back