Build a Diatom filter for under $100.00

I received all the parts to build the small diatom filter. This one will be rather expensive because the "frame, supports and base" will be 1/2" acrylic sheet. One square foot of the stuff is about $25.00 and each filter uses one square foot.

This one is just for me to experiment but if I ever made any more I don't think I would use acrylic just for the cost. But I like it so much better than any other material and it looks like jewelry. :D
Paul,

What about utilizing composite exterior facia board for the base it is plastic type material if you plan on making many?

Thats what I used in the finished larger model. I have 8' of it. It's much cheaper than acrylic and way easier to work with.

I am cutting and polishing the 1/2" thick piece of acrylic now for the prototype smaller model that I may use on my tank just for fun. :)

Have you thought about trying to have this printed on a 3d printer? Once you get the design right, it seems pretty straight forward.

Have you thought about trying to have this printed on a 3d printer? Once you get the design right, it seems pretty straight forward.
Just noticed your comment on 3d printing one. I agree hand prototyping is faster. Once you get the design I would love to 3d print one

My 3D printer is way to small to make anything for this filter. It is also much easier to order it from Amazon. We used to have at least 3 Plexiglass wholesalers here on Long Island but they all are gone now.

I used to be able to buy pieces of clear and colored pieces of the stuff by the pound and it was very cheap. :)

I have a large format printer (350mm x 350mm). I would be willing to print a few if you can create the model

Love the build project. It is a great idea. I have never thought of using diatom for your fish tank. When I was a kid I remember my Grandma's pool had a diatom filter on it.

I a almost finished building the half sized unit. Just waiting for some very fine sanding belts.

So after looking at the pictures, it seems like the pump is sucking the water through the filter rather than pushing it into the filter. Am I wrong? Why the reverse flow? My pool filter pushes the water into my DE filter. I would assume forcing the water into the filter is better.

No, it is not. All aquarium diatom filters and Most pool filters suck water through the membrane. This way there is no pressure on the canister because it is a vacuum. You can also see the powder on the outside of the membrane through the "Clear" canister so you know if it's dirty. When you backflow the thing to clean, you can see if all the dirty powder comes out.

If you push water through the powder, it is inside the membrane so you can't see it and the container will be under high pressure from the pump and that pressure will rise as the filter clogs.

If the container leaks under pressure, water will shoot out all over the house. A pool filter is outside so it won't matter much. If mine leaks, it will only suck in air so no water will get on to my floor which is one reason I have been married for 50 years. :D

Ok makes sense in the house since the pressure will build like it does in my pool filter. That’s how you know to change the de in it or bump it, which my new filter does.

On mine I could see if it's clogged but of course I also could install a vacuum gauge to tell it is getting clogged. :D

I have the half size diatom filter about half assembled and it is looking snazzy. (thats a word I haven't used since the 50s)

I am just short a 1/2" union and a few short stainless steel screws so hopefully it will be completed today. I hope to test it right away. It looks very nice so even if it doesn't work, I can still sell it as Steam Punk. :)

I just finished it 5 minutes ago. :D

Now all I have to do is test the small one. The large one works perfectly. I have a one micron element for the small one but I am not sure how easy I can clean it. I can't seem to find a 5" pleated element in 5 microns. If I can't find one, I will just build it but for now, I am going to run the small one on y tank as a test.

Now that the prototypes are completed I can build them much faster but I have no plans to produce these things for now. I may show them to the manufacturer who builds the majano wand but I doubt they will want to make them and neither do I (for now anyway except for experimental purposes)

I am doing a test on my reef. So far no leaks and it seems to be working perfectly. But this model is to small for my 125 gallon tank because I only have a 250 GPH pump on it. My larger model has a 500 GPH pump on it. I think this would work best on a 75 gallon or less tank.

I stirred up my gravel here t see how long it takes to clear it and see how easy it is to clean. The things starts instantly with no problems. Just stick the inlet hose in the tank and suck a little on the other hose. Plug it in and you are good to go.

The big problem with the manufactured diatom filters was the motor, or pump was on top ad the slightest air inside the unit will stop it. That problem is eliminated here.

New Diatom on tank.JPG

Test is over. I ran it on my 125 with the gravel stirred up and in an hour the water disappeared. The cartridge used was one micron. I think it would be better if I could find a pleated cartridge that I could use with powder. The thing comes right apart for cleaning, all you have to do is loosen up the union and the entire housing comes out.

Then just twist it open and rinse the cartridge. :)

Something like this would be excellent for anyone to build especially if you are concerned about parasites because it will remove them especially if you use a quarantine tank (which I don't)

When I collect NSW I can just submerge these units in the tub of sea water without using the tubing because the pumps are submersible.

Now that I know the "Proof of Concept" and prototype works I designed a much simpler design that anyone can build quickly using the bracket that you can buy for these canisters. I will take these prototypes apart and build them using the new design.

I still have and use my old Vortex diatom filter. I modified it a bit when I replaced the old motor. My problem now is the filter pleat is so old. I have patched it a couple of times. I wish I knew and could find the material they used to make them.

Back