Build a Diatom filter for under $100.00

Those old diatom bags are not easy to repair and I always felt they were a horrible design to begin with. But in the 60s thats all we had as the technology was not there yet.

Those diatom filters had a surface area of about two feed. The new design, the larger one I built has an area of I think 6' so it should be 3 times as efficient and much easier to clean. The filter cartridges can easily be replaced if need be but should last for many years with powder.

The entire unit is submersible.

I feel this design fixes the main problems of the old Diatoms. These won't rust, no seals to replace, starting is simple because that tiny bit of air left in the unit during starting goes right out. They don't over heat and won't electrocute you if they get wet.

They should be much cheaper than the original design in todays money. If a manufacturer decided to build there, they would go for the cheapest materials and you would have cheap garbage which is all that is out there now. Building these is simple but a few tools are required.

I designed a much simpler unit and if I get time will post it with materials. I want people to have these if they want without going broke because I have always felt that if it were not for Diatom Filters, I would not be in this hobby.

I also have always said that if my last diatom filter croaks, I will build a new one.

I am going to post a parts list for the larger Diatom filter unit. Some pictures show many parts but if you only need one, get one. All of this is available in Home Depot and the PVC fittings are cheap.​

I can explain how to put it together if need be
This is the canister I used
51jn8nRC-hL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Hydronix HF5-10CLBK34PR Water Filter Housing 10" RO, Whole House, Hydroponics - 3/4" Ports, Clear Body w/PR​

Brand: Hydronix
4.2 4.2 out of 5 stars 25 ratings

51jn8nRC-hL._AC_SX522_.jpg

It has 3'4" ports so 1/2" X 3/4" reducers have to be used with it. I can't find a clear filter canister with 1/2" ports that doesn't have brass inserts in it so this is what I used.

This is the pump I used: Throw out that silly fitting on the right end

Pump.jpg

Pump.jpg

Danner Manufacturing, Inc., Supreme 500 GPH Hydro-Mag, Recirculating Water Pump with Venturi, 40125​

Visit the Danner Manufacturing, Inc. Store
4.5 4.5 out of 5 stars 104 ratings

$71.32$71.32

Size: 500 GPH
https://www.njreefers.org/javascript:void(0);
  • 500 GPH

Aquaboon 5 Micron 10" x 2.5" Pleated Sediment Water Filter Cartridge | Universal Replacement for Any 10 inch RO Unit | Compatible with R50, 801-50, WFPFC3002, WB-50W, WHKF-WHPL, 2-Pack​

These were $13.00 for two of them
5 Micron filters.jpg

The base is a piece of plastic outdoor molding from Home Depot. I cut it 5 1/2" X 8 1/2". You could use wood or anything else but if wood is used I would varnish it.

You need 2 of these 1/2" X 3/4" reducing bushings
bushing.jpg

Two of these 1/2" threaded elbows. PVC. They have threads on both ends
Elbow.jpg

You just need "one" of these 1/2"
"slip fit" Unions. They do not have threads on the ends. Home Depot about 3 bucks
61SqODeMfBL._AC_UY218_.jpg

You need "one" of these 1/2" Street Elbows. Home Depot, like 2 bucks. May look slightly different but this is the fitting
Street elbows.jpg

One 1/2" X 12" PVC threaded nipple. PVC. This will be cut and the union will fit in it
PVC nipple.jpg

One 1/2" Male adapter. Picture is a 1" fitting but you need 1/2" There are no threads on the inside, it is a slip fitting

51sPmfFmj+S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

"Two" 1/2" X 2" PVC threaded nipples
517nT8HlsDL._AC_UY218_.jpg

One 5/8"
female barb fillng.jpg

X 1/2" 90 degree female barb fitting. PVC

One 5/8" X 1/2" straight female barb fitting. PVC. It's the same as the last picture only straight.

The only other parts is a 4" PVC pipe end cap to mount the filter and 8 3/4" #8 stainless steel, pan head sheet metal screws.

Attachments​

• bushing.jpg
    bushing.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: Yesterday at 2:02 PM

@Paul B thank you for sharing this. I never knew what a diatom filter was until now. After I read your post. I did more research on diatom filters and wish I knew about it sooner. I followed your model and built one for myself. I swapped out some parts so that all the components can be disassamble with a twist and no gluing required. I have an AIO tank, I think this will make cleaning out the compartments in the back much easier. I already have a spare pump to use but suprsingly the most expensive part for this build was the soft nylon tubings. Going to test this out tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20240113_224159.jpg
    20240113_224159.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 31
I must admit that I've never seen or heard of a diatom filter , but this truly interests me for both the cleaning and the parasite aspect of all. I purchase all my fish qtd but I guess one can never be too certain. Welp I guess it's time for me to start ordering parts and to diy

Hi Paul
thanks for posting this! I am going to build one. What size silicone tubing do you use with it?

Back