Anemone Hosting Clownfish

CoralJunkie

John
BRS Member
so ive read on here and online about all the tricks you can do to entice clownfish to swim into the anemone and ive tried some, picture on the side of tank, and flashlight pointing at the anemone while lights are out but they just didnt work. So today i came across a laser pointer that i use to have my dog chase and i thought to myself this thing drives just about any animal and even some people crazy, so i tried it and sure enough my clownfish and tang was chasing it all over the tank, i started pointing it at the anemone and my bigger of the two clowns chased it into the anemone, then it swam out and did a double take and dove back into the anemone and soon after the smaller clown followed

IMAG0049_zps7ba6e0c6.jpg

the little plastic cup you can see on the right side is just a polnd springs water bottle that i cut, ive read that it helps the anemone feel more comfortable because it can set its foot down more which entices it to stay put. you cant even notice it when the day lights are on and the anemone is fully open

the little plastic cup you can see on the right side is just a polnd springs water bottle that i cut, ive read that it helps the anemone feel more comfortable because it can set its foot down more which entices it to stay put. you cant even notice it when the day lights are on and the anemone is fully open

What size bottle did you use and is it the top or bottom?

Very nice.
Not to rain on your parade, but BTA are known to fade the black on percula clowns. If you want that nice black on your percula, say away from BTA as a host.

i stopped by UWW today and picked up 2 awesome sps frags and i was lucky enough to watch Greg feed that purple Rhino they have..... INSANE!!!!!

Might have to try this. My clown was hosting my red bubble tip and then it moved to its new home with my green bubble tip and the clowns haven't gone near it after it moved

Wow that laser trick is a great idea! I've seen the infamous puffer video chasing the laser pointer so I can see where this would work too. But yeah as said before, BTA and a few other anemone will sting clowns even though they can't feel it and can make the black marking pale and white and the white markings black and dark. Happened on my old clowns. That's one reason why if you go to a house or LFS and see an old large pair of clowns, often you can see their colors look chalky and/or burnt in some spots.

Personally that's why i'm fine with my clowns being hosted by a powerhead, lol. Their colors are flawless.

I love my clowns living in the anemone its great, as far as the color goes I've read that btas sting is not very strong at all and the clowns build up a mucus coating...they don't leave the anemone and they even sleep in it and so far their color is vibrant

Back