Any chance of recovery ?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364220376580.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364220376580.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 367
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364220384682.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364220384682.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 303
It's doesn't look that bad and far from dead. It can recover given the right condition. What's the history of it?

A fellow BRS member had it in his tank for a few weeks. The morning i picked it up, still has some color (not bright but def some color).

It look sort of brown out of the bag when i got home (traveled 15 mins in insulated bag) which then after, drip acclimated for 40 min, RX dip and put in the lower end of my tank.,

Im confused on what has happened, could SPS temporary lost color due to stress?

suppose to look like this when thrive

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364221380264.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364221380264.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 284
Dipping acros will make them lose their colors and turn brown since the solution is made up of mostly Iodine which stain the coral.
For this reason, I don't usually show my newly acquired SPS. :D The dipping process can ruin how it looks for awhile but it's something everyone should do to prevent reef STD. Give it some time.

as long as it's flesh is still intack,it sould recover.Yes sps can loose their colors from stress but if you give it time it sould come back.Is this a aquacultured or wild?Some wild sps can completly change colors after awhile

It is very difficult to see if it still has any fresh, i would say yes but very thin light and brown. I believe this is a wild caught sps.

Is there any thing I can do to speed up the recovery process ? will target feed help? Also how long should i expect to see the recovery?

Thx

What kind of lighting was it under in the other tank? What kind of lighting do you have?

And fwiw, it looks like there is some polyp extension in the pics, which is a great sign for the chances of recovery.

There's definitely flesh and I actually see polyps at the top and the tip of the branches. It doesn't look bad at all.
Give it time. To my knowledge, you can't target feed acros. They don't have a way to benefit it. There's no scientific fact or proofs that Acros can actually intake cyclopeeze either.

Here's one of my "unknown" frag. Most people would probably chuck it.
original.jpg

6 months later, it turned to be one of my favorite Acro, Pink Lemonade. You can see the original frag branch at the bottom. Still there.
original.jpg

What kind of lighting was it under in the other tank? What kind of lighting do you have?

And fwiw, it looks like there is some polyp extension in the pics, which is a great sign for the chances of recovery.

Old = AI SOL (i believe)
current = Maxspect Razor

both are LED fixtures.

I'd put it near the bottom of your tank for a week and then move it higher up to light acclimate it, and then just give it time. I bought a very browned out acro supposedly a tricolor that had been under very old t5 bulbs. I left it alone and six months later under my AI Sols it finally colored up to a gorgeous blue and purple and is indeed a tricolor! It takes time with sps, but as long as you see polyp extension and are giving it decent lighting and flow you have a good shot at it recovering. Good luck and keep us posted!

Next time i might not RX dip since i have melanurus wrasse already.

Risk / Reward for RX dip just doesnt justify me.

Just give it time. I had a frag of strawberry shortcake that I got from the fragging meeting last year not the one this year and it is just now starting to turn the colors it should be. Grew fine just stayed brown. I have a bunch of sps in my tank and everything else was fine good color and polyp extension. Let me know when it gets better and you want to frag it it has nice coloring.

Slight green appear, seem a bit better than day1.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364491614823.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364491614823.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 192
Yeah I can see the greenish tint coming out pretty sure he's gonna get that color back...

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Next time i might not RX dip since i have melanurus wrasse already.

Risk / Reward for RX dip just doesnt justify me.

The risk to you if you have other SPS is all of you sps looking bad if the wrong pests get through vs one coral looking bad while it recovers after the dip. If you have other sps, the dip is always worth the risk in my opinion.

As far as what you can do to help it recover faster, stable tank parameters and don't touch it.

Back