any interest in .......

I have one of those Hydors in my tank. I have spray bars on both sides and that just about in the middle to brake up the flow and all I can say is this thing is the BAWLS!!!
When I upgrade to the 120 I am going to do spray bars on each side with 2 of theese just about in the middle. It really makes my tank look like there is waves rolling through the xenia

Ray - does it cut back on the flow from your powerheads? I asked the hydor guy and he said "no, that's bull" (of course). Actually, I wouldn't mind cutting back on the direct flow a little. Today my new toadstool was completely folded in half because there was too much flow from a maxi-jet 1200 on him. As soon as I directed the flow up to the surface, he opened up - he's about 6" across - he is beautiful. Oh..back to the point....I would rather have more, smaller power heads with some of thse hydors on them to distribute the flow across the tank.

Hey Marc - I saw this guy on RC that sells Aiptasia eating Berghia Nudibranch. I want to get a couple - he's selling them for pretty cheap (I think $8). But the shipping is so much for only two. I was wondering if you would consider getting them for the store? My only other option is a Copperband because I'm sick of squirting these damn things and having them grow back twice as much!

Yes it does cut back the flow and it also says for use up to 300GPH pumps.
I have mine on my return line powered by a 700 or 800 GPH pump

Have you tried pepermint shrimp? They work best in groups of 3-4 or more, I had 2 in my tank for the longest time and as soon as I added a 3rd ALL my aptasia was gone in a week! I also have a CBB so needless to say aptasia does not last more then 1 day in my tank. If you dont mind saving me some that would be great! I would love to feed them to my tank :)

I have enough to feed 10 peppermints and 10 CBBs!! I did have 2 peppermints for about a month. They didn't touch the aiptasia, then my Six Line Wrasse had a nice shrimp cocktail while I was on vacation last month. Maybe I'll give them another try. Or maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go for the CBB :eek:

Last edited:
Anthony calfo wrote about the Nudi s in one of his books (I forget which one now) but they sound interesting.
Daire have you tries Joes Juice? I had so mant aptasia at one point that it was embarassing, I honestly thought I may have to shut down the tank. I went out and got 12 bottles Of Joes Juice. I used only 1 &1/2 and the problem has been gone for over 6 months.
If you want to try it your welcome to a bottle.

I couldn't find Joe's Juice anywhere local or on-line so I bought Stop Aiptasia. It seems to get rid of them temporarily, but they come back in large numbers. And to be honest, they are in some impossible places - I can't reach them. Thanks for the offer though. I edited my last post...maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go for the CBB (heehee)....

I saw Anthony Calfo's write up on the nudis on RC. They do seem to do the trick, the only problem is they die once all of the aiptasia are gone. I was thinking we could start a nudi rotation in the BRS - pass them around. I guess they breed like crazy so we could end up with a huge family of them - enough to get rid of every aiptasia in the BRS. :D

Ya sorry Marc
Be selective and try to find a place with many in stock and watch them eat.
Marc how about a CBB group buy ;)

No worries It's mt thread and we'll take it where ever it goes.
CCB is one of my favorites also.

Hey Marc, I thought of something else...how about titanium ground probes? I really want one for my tank, but haven't gotten around to getting one. Do you guys use them?

Daire

I still don't understand grounding probes - can someone explain?

If you have an electricity leak into your tank, most likely it is not going anywhere because of the lack of a ground. (So, when you put your hand into the tank, unless your other hand is also touching a ground source, nothing happens).

Once you add a grounding probe into your tank, your saltwater all of a sudden becomes a huge electric wire. So, when you put your hand into the tank now, you will get zapped.

Sorry.. I'm not an electrician, just trying to understand how the electric currents would work...

With a leakage or open line in your tank and no path to ground there is a "potential" there when you reach in and say you're bare foot on the cellar floor. bam your body completes the path to ground. On the other hand because electricity will always seek the path or least resistance to ground using a ground probe will constantly dump off the potential to ground.

One other thing make sure to test once a month or so. Just take the Ground probe out and use a mulitimeter to test for AC voltage, put one end in the tank and the other to a water pipe (home/ copper from sink etc.) or the center screw on an outlet.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back