Anybody running 2 MP60s in a 120G Mixed Reef?

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
Hi guys,

I am currently running 2 MP40s in Anti-Sync Reef Crest mode in my 120G (48x30x20), but I can't shake the feeling I need more flow.

I just cranked up my Waveline DC-10000 Return Pump to almost full power (about 2500GPH) to get better flow through the return nozzles. It helped, but it still seems like I need more.

Would 2 MP60s be too much for the tank? I am running the MP40s at 90-95% and wouldn't mind having MP60s and running them at a much lower percentage if that be the case.

I just want to get some 1st hand experience from MP60s users out there so I won't get something I can't use in my tank (maybe this is just my brain getting ready for my next tank upgrade!). I have read they are very powerful pumps with a narrower flow pattern than the MP40s.

Any input is apreciated.

Thanks
Higor

I have one mp60 on my 120 5 footer at half speed. It moves everything really well. All my sps love it. I wouldn't do two of the tho. It would be over kill. It's doable but you would have to have them at about 1/4 speed.

I have one mp60 on my 120 5 footer at half speed. It moves everything really well. All my sps love it. I wouldn't do two of the tho. It would be over kill. It's doable but you would have to have them at about 1/4 speed.

Yeah, I am starting to think 2 would be a little overkill... I might consider one

Man, Amen to that! :D

Someone in RC suggested I change my MP40s location to create diferent flow patterns. I might try that before I dish out any $ for the MP60s. Sounds like a good try...

Man, Amen to that! :D

Someone in RC suggested I change my MP40s location to create diferent flow patterns. I might try that before I dish out any $ for the MP60s. Sounds like a good try...

I have a 245 with 2 mp40s and have insanely good flow... mp60 on a 120 seems like a little overkill no?

I have a 245 with 2 mp40s and have insanely good flow... mp60 on a 120 seems like a little overkill no?

Not sure how your pumps are set up (position and mode) and your aquascape but, the way I have mine, flow is good enough at most I would say. I know that aquascape and pump set up has a big impact on the flow pattern you get, so maybe you could post a picture of your tank and pump layout?

I am running both of my MP40s at almost 100% (1 LED not lit) and it's far from being an "insanely good flow". I will play around with the pump's positions tonight to try to get a better flow pattern going on.

Higor

couple ideas here/
reefcrest drops to a lower speed than lagoon. try lagoon antisync instead to get 10% more overall flow.

long pulse in antisync set to the max 60 seconds would give you more direct flow, changing every minute.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/10/review_album/image024.jpg

also, since you have the power heads working in antisync, as one is ramping up, the other is ramping down. this is great to get the swaying ocean current style flow, but isnt very efficient, since the power heads have to reverse the movement of the water column every minute or so. Also, this means that you only have the power of a single pump working at one time, ex: if pump 1 is ramped up to 80%, the other is at 20% etc.

It might mess up your sand bed, but if you set the pumps to sync instead, they will be working at the same time. Try it, but be prepared to turn them down quickly if the sand starts flying!

Last option, take the sync off completely, and run the pumps on separate programs. have 1 on reefcrest to provide the "random" and have the other set to 60 second long pulse to provide the bulk of the flow.

Not sure how your pumps are set up (position and mode) and your aquascape but, the way I have mine, flow is good enough at most I would say. I know that aquascape and pump set up has a big impact on the flow pattern you get, so maybe you could post a picture of your tank and pump layout?

I am running both of my MP40s at almost 100% (1 LED not lit) and it's far from being an "insanely good flow". I will play around with the pump's positions tonight to try to get a better flow pattern going on.

Higor

I have them staggered and offset-

my tank is 30" tall.. master is 23" off sandbed and 8" deep from front glass... Slave is 18" off sandbed and 6" deep from front glass..

I'm at work, I'll post a pic when I get home.. Some who have seen my setup can attest to the massive flow I have.. When properly utilized, MP40 is all you need

couple ideas here/
reefcrest drops to a lower speed than lagoon. try lagoon antisync instead to get 10% more overall flow.

long pulse in antisync set to the max 60 seconds would give you more direct flow, changing every minute.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/10/review_album/image024.jpg

also, since you have the power heads working in antisync, as one is ramping up, the other is ramping down. this is great to get the swaying ocean current style flow, but isnt very efficient, since the power heads have to reverse the movement of the water column every minute or so. Also, this means that you only have the power of a single pump working at one time, ex: if pump 1 is ramped up to 80%, the other is at 20% etc.

It might mess up your sand bed, but if you set the pumps to sync instead, they will be working at the same time. Try it, but be prepared to turn them down quickly if the sand starts flying!

Last option, take the sync off completely, and run the pumps on separate programs. have 1 on reefcrest to provide the "random" and have the other set to 60 second long pulse to provide the bulk of the flow.

These are great ideas man. I will play around with my pumps tonight and hopefully save a few hundred dollar :)

BTW, what's that link? I can't open it...

Thanks

I have them staggered and offset-

my tank is 30" tall.. master is 23" off sandbed and 8" deep from front glass... Slave is 18" off sandbed and 6" deep from front glass..

I'm at work, I'll post a pic when I get home.. Some who have seen my setup can attest to the massive flow I have.. When properly utilized, MP40 is all you need

I believe you. If I can maximize the use on the MP40s I am all for not dropping more $ on MP60s1

Thanks
Higor

It seems a WP 40 moves more water that a MP40. For less than $100 a pop, you can get 6 of them to create a storm in your tank.

It seems a WP 40 moves more water that a MP40. For less than $100 a pop, you can get 6 of them to create a storm in your tank.

If I didn't have MP40s, I would definitely buy the Jebao... I even considered selling my Vortechs and getting them at one point. But I can't shake the feeling of "What if?!"

I will wait a little longer and keep an eye out to see how the Jebao pumps do in the long run. For some reason selling my Echotech pumps and buying the Jebaos right now feels like trading a Mercedes/BMW for a Kia/Hyundai :). I mean the Vortechs and Tunzes pumps must be as much as they are for a reason right? If it comes down to it I would rather swap one of my MP40s for a MP60.

Aren't there rumors of them being prohibited of selling/dealing in the US because of Tunze and Echotech patent infringements? What if that happens? Than everyone who has them is out of luck right?

Not saying I wouldn't buy one for a spare/quarantine tank, but I just don't feel comfortable swapping my main pumps for them... Even though they seem promising. There is just too many "ifs"! ;)

Higor

Last edited:
First of all, the reason Tunze and Ecotech charge so much for their pumps is BECAUSE THEY CAN and there was really no much choice out there. Second, Ecotech holds the magnetic coupling drive patent, which WP40 does not use. Tunze doesn't have patent of their flow pumps either. Jebao is the largest aquarium product manufacture in China and they sell at low profit margin still makes a lot of money. Those pumps are not expensive to produce, they are as complicated as the a coffee maker sold in Wal-Mart.

I hear you Dong. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just feel safe with my Vortechs. I guess u can say I am paying for "Peace of Mind"... I have had to call Ecotech once, and there was no issue in taking care of the issue.

I am not knocking Jebao down. But when it come down to features and track record, Ecotech and Tunze still wins.

Not sure how much of this is true but...

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/equ...l-no-good-warning-wp-25-discussion-ahead.html

Higor

I think the problem with using 2xMP40 on your set up is the 30" wide. You really should run 2xMP40 on each side or 2xMP60.

I think the problem with using 2xMP40 on your set up is the 30" wide. You really should run 2xMP40 on each side or 2xMP60.

I think u r right. It's that and my Aquascape! There is no way a water current forms towards the back with all the corals and jagged rock work...

I didn't do it tonight (was in-charge of the offspring tonight! :)) but tomorrow I am thinking of moving the 2 MP40s so 1 it hitting the rock wall where I have most of the SPS and the other is more towards the front of the tank, in "open water".

I am thinking if I keep running them in Anti-Sync but far from each other (on either side of the tank, one more towards the back and the other towards the back) I might get some sort of "Alternating Gyro flow" going.

We'll see what happens... I am curious.

I have a 5 foot tank and use 2 MP40s in Tidal swell mode at around 80%. Seems like a lot of flow for me. corals seem happy.

Back