Anyone dosing Nitrate?

uhupong

BRS Member
It seems that my redsea skimmer plus refugium may have worked too well and i probably have too low nutrients level.

Anyone currently dosing Nitrate that have tips and advise on how to raise it properly?

FYI - I feed 4 cubes of frozen food daily to my 165G tank (Redsea Reefer 625) and Nitrate is at 2 and 0 phosphate.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It seems that my redsea skimmer plus refugium may have worked too well and i probably have too low nutrients level.

Anyone currently dosing Nitrate that have tips and advise on how to raise it properly?

FYI - I feed 4 cubes of frozen food daily to my 165G tank (Redsea Reefer 625) and Nitrate is at 2 and 0 phosphate.

Increase feeding and dial back refugium light hours. It’s so simple, dosing nitrates is almost always not the way it should be done in my opinion. Not to mention the risk of you slamming PO4 to zero doing so. Then you get Dinos and everything out of wack.

A system can adjust bacteria depending on bioload. You will be shocked how much you can feed with zero algae issues if feeding is increased slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem with feeding more is that i can only feed once a day in the evening because of my work hour. My fishes can barely finish 4 cubes right now, so I'm not sure if i could increade feeding more.

Does cutting down on skimmer time also help? What is minimum light duration that cheato need?Right now i turn it on 5 hrs a day only.

How about an auto feeder? Never used one myself but seems like it could be an option. Maybe a little flake or pellet around noon?

I used it before and had trouble with Aptasia. I think there were too much uneaten food/reefriod floating around.

I used it before and had trouble with Aptasia. I think there were too much uneaten food/reefriod floating around.

Increase bioload. More fish. Who doesn’t like to add fish!

The tank is actually 133 gallon. I have 10 fishes
1 blue tang
1 yellow tang
2 clown
5 Berlett Anthias
1 redhead wrasse

I feel it may be already too many but, please let me know if you have a good recommendation for another good show fish.

I started out at 10 ml every other day with constant testing on my 180 with 40gal sump . Now I am 15 every day colors are coming back on my SPS coraline is growing. Just go slow and watch the tank .

Increase feeding and dial back refugium light hours. It’s so simple, dosing nitrates is almost always not the way it should be done in my opinion. Not to mention the risk of you slamming PO4 to zero doing so. Then you get Dinos and everything out of wack.

A system can adjust bacteria depending on bioload. You will be shocked how much you can feed with zero algae issues if feeding is increased slowly.

I'm trying to get rid of mine any ideas besides WC???

Besides water changes growing and harvesting macro algae can remove nitrates from a closed aquarium system. Chaeto and Ulva algae both work great. Sulfur reactors are also another great way for removing nitrates however they are expensive.

Besides water changes growing and harvesting macro algae can remove nitrates from a closed aquarium system. Chaeto and Ulva algae both work great. Sulfur reactors are also another great way for removing nitrates however they are expensive.
Well noted, thanks @CTReefKeeper. I definitely need to revamp my refugium. It was looking great and now it's depleted...

QUESTIONS : With your actual values are you seeing issues in your tank ?

Or all is like it was weeks/months/years ago.

Have something changed ?

Cheers

QUESTIONS : With your actual values are you seeing issues in your tank ?

Or all is like it was weeks/months/years ago.

Have something changed ?

Cheers
My big change was that my refugium depleted and needs to be revamped... Other than that nothing...

My big change was that my refugium depleted and needs to be revamped... Other than that nothing...

OK .. those are great news. Continue doing what you are doing. Go and get new macro algae and that's all.

My fuge went through many depletions. I never tried to find the cause. Just added new fresh macro of the type I was able to find. Add more than one type if possible (at least that works for me). I keep my fuge lights on during the day, as the DT. And no inverted. The fuge light start 1 hour before the DT and is off 1 hour after the DT is off.

If you do not see something going wrong.... my counceling is.... do not mess with your parameters.

This is my humble experience after killing MANY colonies.

Cheers

OK .. those are great news. Continue doing what you are doing. Go and get new macro algae and that's all.

My fuge went through many depletions. I never tried to find the cause. Just added new fresh macro of the type I was able to find. Add more than one type if possible (at least that works for me). I keep my fuge lights on during the day, as the DT. And no inverted. The fuge light start 1 hour before the DT and is off 1 hour after the DT is off.

If you do not see something going wrong.... my counceling is.... do not mess with your parameters.

This is my humble experience after killing MANY colonies.

Cheers
Well noted, thanks...

Thanks everyone for all responses to my original post. My nitrate level start to rise up with shoeter refugium lighting period and increase feeding.

Back