Anyone ever use water change waste for a garden?

Cherokee_Dude

Non-member
All last winter I dumped my waste change water in a small garden area out back. This spring, for the first time Ever I had an amazing bloom for a tough flowering plant where I dumped the water.

The water had normal parameters (Cal, PH, Phos, etc...) except nitrates were around 20.

Anyone had this happen before?

Interesting idea. Fish waste makes great fertilizer. I've done it with freshwater fish but never salt. Maybe when it's outside the salt gets diluted enough that it doesn't hurt anything, but I definitely wouldn't use it on houseplants.

That's what I was thinking... I did however wonder if over time the PH of the soil would be adversely affected due to the saltwater {Or even freshwater} acting as a buffer...
Then again, if it rains enough or I water enough... does it matter because of the effect of dilution?

Shawn - That's what I thought! but, not in this case... The soil actually seemed hyper-fertilized and was able to support ferns and a medium sized flowering plant.

Last edited:
Maybe because I dumped over winter, all of the snowfall diluted the salt but the nutrients/fish waste remained available for the plant life. Sound plausible?

Back