Aptasia Control/Eradication Options?

Aiptasia x worked for me, I still have a little tiny ones in my nano but just yesterday I got the bigger ones. Obviously you just gotta make sure you get the whole base covered. I’ve tried superglue on the smaller ones and got a few of them that way but for the most part they find another whole.

I used to use concentrated kalkwasser paste. I already had a bunch and I just mixed it with tank water. That being said I really only ever kept the visible ones at bay and it wasn't until I replaced all my rock with new live rock that I really got the problem under control to the point where I see maybe 1 or 2 every few months...

I used to use concentrated kalkwasser paste. I already had a bunch and I just mixed it with tank water. That being said I really only ever kept the visible ones at bay and it wasn't until I replaced all my rock with new live rock that I really got the problem under control to the point where I see maybe 1 or 2 every few months...
That is the same with me

I have a leopard wrasse and still I keep seeing nudibrauncs once in a while. I put them in the fuge and enough made it to the display. I also use aptasia x. I could be wrong but I think there more effective on tiny aptasia. Also it takes many months.

Well here’s my next stab at it. Yesterday I bough a bottle of aptasia x and this little guy :)
813AD3A2-FA66-453D-B871-3F73C27663DC.jpeg

I used a laser to get rid of mine when I had them in my last tank. Worked amazing! Wear the glasses tho!

Peppermint shrimp have never failed me. When you say you dropped them in and 4 got eaten instantly do you mean you actually dropped them in?

I have 3+ wrasse and put 12 peppermints in and 3 months later aiptasia free. This is my 3rd time in the last 6 years of success with them.

I’d buy bigger ones and put them in when your wrasse are sleeping.

Peppermint shrimp have never failed me. When you say you dropped them in and 4 got eaten instantly do you mean you actually dropped them in?

I have 3+ wrasse and put 12 peppermints in and 3 months later aiptasia free. This is my 3rd time in the last 6 years of success with them.

I’d buy bigger ones and put them in when your wrasse are sleeping.
I probably should've done that. I got the midday but i even fed them before putting them in.

Peppermint shrimp can help for sure, but Copperbands work quite well also (nice to look at too, but they need some space). IME Copperbands are safe for all corals, but small clams might be on the menu, and feather dusters as well. Mine likes to nip at urchins as well, but never really does them any damage. Sometimes you might need to train your Copperband initially to eat Aiptasia, but usually they go right to it.

Oh, and peppermint shrimp only live 1-2 years. Copperbands can live for 5-10 years I believe. I don't think I've ever had one die of old age.

I used a multi pronged approach. Majano wand, f-aptasia and Kalkwasser paste. Took about 10 months to a year, but worked.

Back