Aptasia Control Question

dlux5life

Non-member
Hey Guys-

I had a piece of LR that i took out of my tank the day that I noticed an aptasia popping out. The rock has been out of my tank and outisde my house for about two months where the temperature has gotten pretty cold out as im sure most of you are aware. I have figured that everything on the rock would be dead by now.

I pressure washed the rock to clean off all of the dead matter. I am in the process of cycling the rock with a powerhead in a 50 / 50 mixture of water and vinegar which i plan on doing for a week. Then I am going to re-cycle the rock in water that i will take from my weekly water changes until i notice the parameters returning to normal (trying to avoid any kind of spiike if possible). The idea is to re-seed the piece of rock with bacteria currently in my tank once it is put back in.

I have heard that aptasia can be pretty rough to get rid of, expecially if the larve exists in side the peice of live rock.

Does anyone here think there is a chance that aptasia could survive all of this? The only other rock I plan on putting in my tank is going to be dead rock (like macro rocks), and want to completly eliminate reduce the possibility of aptasia as much as possible.

Thanks,

"Does anyone here think there is a chance that aptasia could survive all of this?"

No,definitely dead.

I think aiptasia is an inevitability. It wont survive your treatment, but if you are going to be putting frags and such in your tank it is going to show up again. Just be ready for it when it comes.

Back