Aquaillumination SOL LED Fixture Assessments

pesto

Keeping it Simple!
I am evaluating LED fixtures and really like the Aquaillumination SOL LED Fixture. It is reasonably priced and everything I have read has been positive about the performance. I am looking for assessments (pros/cons) from those that use them or have experiance with them.

Also, if I decide to purchase should I get the SOL Blue or SOL White fixtures? I am going to be placing two fixtures over a 90 gallon reef with center brace replacing T5's. Thanks!

I have 2 sol blues over a 29 gallon. I've been running them for 3 months and all my sps has been showing decent growth
2 fixtures over a 90 may give you some shadowing but you can add another module down the road if you feel the need
the controller is OK, a little confusing at first but I figured it out pretty quickly. I cant think of anything it is missing for settings and function
I read every thread I could find on all the forums and came to the conclusion that the people having the most success with them are starting off with very low settings and very gradual increases
I still have not ramped mine up past 50% at mid day because I found that if i increased power more than a a couple percent at a time the corals would start to bleach quickly
honestly with the results I am getting at 50% power I may never run these at full Power. I'm thinking 60% may be my cap but it will be a few months before I get there

As far as whether to get Blue or white I like the blue. I have mine programed for a 3 hour slow ramp for sunrise and sunset with lots of blue and about a 6 hour mid day setting more to the white side. The blue at the sunrise/sunset setting gives the coral amazing color

I have them, most people recommend you get the blues. 2 might not be enough for a 90G. You will probably want 3 for a full SPS tank on a 4' 90g. I have 3 over 36" with SPS.

Does the "SOL Blue" fixture produce a deep blue color at all times our does the white lights in the fixture create a more balanced appearance?

Hello,

I just agonized over this decision for a month, but ended up going with the Radion instead. No right or wrong answer, just look at all of the options and data for both. Also, if going with the AI SOL, wait a few weeks, the new verison (phoenix) should be out soon and may be worth looking into,

Pat

Hello,

I just agonized over this decision for a month, but ended up going with the Radion instead. No right or wrong answer, just look at all of the options and data for both. Also, if going with the AI SOL, wait a few weeks, the new verison (phoenix) should be out soon and may be worth looking into,

Pat

Just FYI the new AI will be called Vega not Pheonix.

My opinion is this: AI has not moved beyond the use of cool white, royal blue, blue LEDs. I consider their new fixture merely repackaging of their old fixture with slightly more powerful LEDs. I have had Acan Lighting, Reef Bright and DIY fixtures. They all tend to wash things out because of the use of only cool white, royal blue, blue LEDs. I investigated and looked at all fixture before gonig back to LED. I found the Radion fixture to be superior so I bought it. The software is great plus the fixture is RGB; has whites blues, red and green LEDs. Also you could easily light your 90 gallon tank two not three or four of the AI. I am lighting a 24x24x24" 60 cube with one and only have it turned up to 60%. There is no disco ball effect (spot lighting) and every corner of the tank is lit and lit brightly.

So will they be even cheaper when the new one comes out??

The think at SOL's are now $499 and the Vega is going to be $599. AI doesn't include the controller, an additional $80, but the Radion gives you the UBS cable and free software. But if you still need more AI fixtures to get coverage the $749 Radion is still attractive.

Im switching to a 92corner shortly would I still need 2 raidons? Think I would need 2 sol's for the coverage

Im switching to a 92corner shortly would I still need 2 raidons? Think I would need 2 sol's for the coverage

You might be able to get away with one Radion but not one AI. The two front corners would be slightly dimmer but in the corner tank you wouldn't have corals there anyways. In my resaerch I've found the ratio to Radions to AI is 2 to 3 for the same coverage. Do your own research. I didn't buy my Radion until I actually saw it and got a demo. There are people on RC lighting a Marineland 30x30x24" tank fine with one Radion but the corners are a little dim but not bad. Here's a video of 60 cube with a Radion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHZvpnat02k&feature=player_embedded#

I have the AI blue sols on my sps dominant tank I am getting great growth and the colors really pop, I love mine!

Last edited:
Yes, the Radion does seem to be a solid option. You can get a Sol for $399 and the rails and controller are another $175 or so. Brings you close to the Radion price. If you mount the Sol parallel in my 90 Gallon then two will work. Price is not everything ..I really like the use of multi-color LED's in the Radion along with wireless control make it a player in my decision.

I have the AI blue sols on my sps dominant tank I am getting great growth and the colors really pop, I love mine!

Do the Sol Blues always have a deep blue tint or can it be lightened using the control settings? Do you have a picture with it at it's lightest?

Do the Sol Blues always have a deep blue tint or can it be lightened using the control settings? Do you have a picture with it at it's lightest?
You can change the color from a deep blue to a lot whiter color

the new ai coming out will be 499 with built in controller from what i was told.the led will be 5w.i might get 2 when i up grade tank soon.i have the radion now on my 54 corner and it give me plenty of coverage.if u have a 4 foot tank then u will def need 2 radions.for the same price,u can get 3 ai.if your tank is longer then 30" then 2 ai will better

the new ai coming out will be 499 with built in controller from what i was told.the led will be 5w.i might get 2 when i up grade tank soon.i have the radion now on my 54 corner and it give me plenty of coverage.if u have a 4 foot tank then u will def need 2 radions.for the same price,u can get 3 ai.if your tank is longer then 30" then 2 ai will better

I spoke with the AI folks and they said if I run the lights parallel to the tank (side to side not front to back) then they recommend only two (2) fixtures. The new Vegas allow side to side mounting where the Sol did not offer that feature.

I spoke with the AI folks and they said if I run the lights parallel to the tank (side to side not front to back) then they recommend only two (2) fixtures. The new Vegas allow side to side mounting where the Sol did not offer that feature.

that's y i will be getting 2 ai.$500 is gonna get me alotta frags

Back