Aquascaping

sushi62

Non-member
Just curious how many people put their rock up against the back of the tank. I read things that say not to but I see so many pics of people doing it. What is correct?

I don't think there is a right or wrong method. It's all personal preference. I do not go close to the back wall because if something dies or falls back there, you can't get it out. I also try not to touch the side walls because I can't clean the algae off the glass. I'm sure you'll get a million different answers and reasons, flow, light, debris, etc., but I've seen beautiful aquascaping done both ways. :)

Mine is against the back wall and i love my set up. Its all how you prefer just try to keep them off the sides, its a pain to clean

A few of my rocks are against the back wall. While it is not detrimental it does come with some set backs. If the rocks are not secured well and your cleaning the tank and knock any out of place it may one crack the tank or two scratch it at the least. Drilling or glueing rocks would be recomended or at least be very careful while working in the tank. The second major concern is detritus settling in placing that are inaccessible by water flow or siphon causing excess nutrients. Both problems can be cured easily and just require some attention. My tank is an SPS tank and have been lucky to be able to successfully deal with both issues. On smaller tanks these are easy to cure on bigger tanks of would require more work.

I have rock against my back wall but I put2 opposing circ pumps behind my rock work to deal with detritus. I also have a good clean up crew. I wasn't going to get the height of rock work I wanted without stacking against the glass unless I drilled which I didn't want to do. In the end it's whatever fits your needs best but thicker glass is more peace of mind. Mine is 1/2in

Back