Asterina starfish

Renato

Reef Addicted
I have a ton of Asterina star fish.
What can i do to kill them?
Any fish that will eat them?

Harlequin shrimp will but once they clean your tank of star fish, they will eat any stars you have in the tank.
Once they eliminae the star fish they will either need to be fed star fish or they will die.

I have never heard of a specific fish the eats them consistently.

I have so many they are taking over ::
Thank you i will start looking for one.

I keep a harlequin in my 55 I got it for the same reason you are looking, after he ate them all(about a month) I started picking them out of the 180 as they get numerous.. He is never without food, If I didn't have a brittle and sepent star I would move him... Its weird how they can smell the starfish as soon as they hit the water.

I siphon them out every time I do water changes. I pull a couple hundred a week out of my tank. I am just now starting to see a reduction in the numbers coming out after every change. I used to not pay much attention to them but they absolutely take over if you let them continue to multiply unchecked. I have seen them on my corals but never seen any damage from them that I could point to them.

The coraline algae seems to be growing better without them in the 55, I heard they eat it but have never checked up on it.

In my tank I find the asternias constantly on my Zoas. I got a Harlequin a few weeks ago and is doing a good job taking the numbers down. I am now starting to stock favia stars in my sump and will start clipping legs to feed the Harlequin. He is one of the most interesting specimens in my tank.

?

Does a harlequin prefer one type of star over another
or are all at risk? I was thinking of removing my linka and put hm in my fuge until the harlequin does it job then toss him in my fuge (and return the linka) or loan him out to the next tankfull of stars......rob

They do eat the coraline algae... I've never had a problem with them...

They are the four leg ones that look like four tri-angles stuck together, like a star on a Christmas tree. Their legs are not too thin. I have one I see every once in a while but that's it.

Does a harlequin prefer one type of star over another
or are all at risk? I was thinking of removing my linka and put hm in my fuge until the harlequin does it job then toss him in my fuge (and return the linka) or loan him out to the next tankfull of stars......rob

They eat them all.they inject the larger ones to keep them alive and eat them slowly.

I wish I had a linkia , I have tried 3 times with no luck.

linkia

it took me a few tries to keep a linkia, the present one I have had for a little over a year now...

Just get some acans and hope they do what they did in Peter's (PVH) tank...

I saw this last night...

2dsk0td.jpg

I'm still not sure why you would want to kill these critters. They're benigne and don't hurt anything. I'm even willing to bet that if you collected a bunch of them and bagged them that many memebers would buy them or take them off your hands.

Dawn does that with her mini Brittle Stars and everyone loves them.

Back