Backup power - Idea, thoughts, solutions?

The airpumps are too weak to keep a 75 gallon tank alive even with 2 of them.
They put out 19 gallon of air per hour from each pump. That means each air pump will move much less than 19 gallon of water per hour. It may work on a nano tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b3a15e317c5566c3462b8765fb34fd1d.jpg

[emoji2957][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I keep seeing people say that generators will ruin my controller, why? I hear the term "dirty power" and I'm wondering what this means.

cheap no name generators can have fluctuations in Hertz. they all put out 120/240v but some will not maintain a relatively stable 60hz. I have the genrac unit and never had a problem with any of my equipment or controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

“Cheap” generators are the issue.
One member fried his ATI dimmable t5 and lesson learned there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep seeing people say that generators will ruin my controller, why? I hear the term "dirty power" and I'm wondering what this means.

Electricity is not just electricity.

Electricity can be delivered at different frequencies. In the U.S., utilities deliver power at 60hz. All electronics sold in the U.S. are designed to run at 60hz (before power converters in the device do their thing). This is one reason why you can't just take any electronic device and use it in another country. Some might work, others will get fried.

Electronic devices have multiple power converters inside them to deliver the appropriate voltage and frequency of electricity to the various semiconductors in the circuit. They are designed within tolerances to allow for some fluctuation in the quality (i.e. consistency and proper frequency) of the power, but there are limits.

Non-inverter generators can have power fluctuations outside of the design tolerances of electronics, and when they do, the result is typically destruction of some (or all) parts of the electronic device.

An analogy would be that you cannot put kerosene in your gasoline powered car's engine and expect it to work properly and/or not be destroyed. They are both fossil fuels and combustible, so why not? They have different properties.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back