backup power for my tank (38 g)

I currently only have an inverter that plugs into my car to provide backup power in the event of a power outage. This is not ideal as it could run down the car's battery and I have to be present to set it up in the event of an outage.

Has anyone used an inverter/charger system like this for their tank as backup power supply?

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/inverter-chargers/freedom-hf-newgen.aspx

I am trying to figure out if the tank can be plugged in full time to this and it would only switch on in the event of an outage -- without my having to be there to switch it on. There are no local stores selling these so I'd probably have to buy online.

Thanks for any insights.

Actually if you only use it to power a flow pump such as a maxi-jet 1200 or a Korlia 1200, it will last for a whole day

The equipment I'd like to keep running is a heater (100 W) and a pump (45 W). I don't actually have koralia or other circulation pump in my tank -- just the main return pump. I guess the heater is the energy hog. With only 38g, temp swings quickly as I discovered last winter.

Its to bad I had a 1000w one for sale here and practically gave it away. I can't remember who bought it, but depending on the size you can run a rather large set up for a day. You can buy a cheap generator from Harbor Freight tools, quality isn't great but a couple uses and it will pay for itself. I have a Honda Generator which I use to power my tank and necessities.

Good Luck Derek

please dont buy the harbor freight genarators i bought brand new one lasted 4 hours in blizzard nemo spend the extra money and get a good one granted u might luck out with a cheap one but i kno i wont trust it but the roll of the dice is up too u

I think a couple people had bought them with some success. I wouldn't trust it but for $150 what do you think you are getting? If it lasts one or two storms better than nothing I suppose?

I have the combinations of UPS, generator, and Apex do the work in the event of power outage.

Apex, router/network, and powerheads on UPS.
Txt me when power outage and shut off everything except powerheads and delay return pump to go off in 15 minutes.
Txt again in 90 minutes after initial power outage if power not returned.
Time to haul out the generator.

There's many way to deal with power outage in the reef tank, just how fancy and how much $$$$ you're willing to spend. If you like the UPS way, stay away from the shrimp size ones and get the big boy stuff that they use in datacenter... they're not that expensive if you're know where to look.

This system also works well to bridge generator refuels during prolonged outage and can power home boiler to keep house warm. Prolonged outage and you have to get the boiler going because aquarium heaters won't be enough and use more electric on generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the combinations of UPS, generator, and Apex do the work in the event of power outage.

Apex, router/network, and powerheads on UPS.
Txt me when power outage and shut off everything except powerheads and delay return pump to go off in 15 minutes.
Txt again in 90 minutes after initial power outage if power not returned.
Time to haul out the generator.

There's many way to deal with power outage in the reef tank, just how fancy and how much $$$$ you're willing to spend. If you like the UPS way, stay away from the shrimp size ones and get the big boy stuff that they use in datacenter... they're not that expensive if you're know where to look.

Actually if you only use it to power a flow pump such as a maxi-jet 1200 or a Korlia 1200, it will last for a whole day

not sure how you guys run a heater (100w, 200w, ..etc) to warm the tank with UPS thing. I do not think anything can survive if no heat for a long period of time.

I think that is what the OP is concerning about.

~Toan: your apex can send message when you completely lost power at your house? do you have to subscribe the apex to a wireless service provider to get this service? otherwise if you loose power, your Comcast/Verizon Fios wireless router at home is useless i think

Last edited:
I setup inverter on marine lead acid battery after being unimpressed with apc1500 unit. Works great. Used recommendations from Greg Hiller. Got inverter on eBay, battery from Walmart. Inverter has auto transfer switch. See:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007...&dpID=51B1tuP+eJL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

This Tripp Lite that you linked to is exactly the one I am looking at. Why does the Tripp Lite battery that "goes with it" cost almost $400?

~Toan: your apex can send message when you completely lost power at your house? do you have to subscribe the apex to a wireless service provider to get this service? otherwise if you loose power, your Comcast/Verizon Fios wireless router at home is useless i think

You don't need to subscribe to any service. I have Verizon, the ONT, my network, and the Apex (powered by the 12v adapter, not AquaBus) is on UPS. The Apex can sense when it's primary power source is lost and you just have to tell it what to do after that.

For me, water aeration during power outage is more important than heating the tank. IMO, get a real generator that can power up the whole house if possible.

You don't need to subscribe to any service. I have Verizon, the ONT, my network, and the Apex (powered by the 12v adapter, not AquaBus) is on UPS. The Apex can sense when it's primary power source is lost and you just have to tell it what to do after that.

For me, water aeration during power outage is more important than heating the tank. IMO, get a real generator that can power up the whole house if possible.

There's no natural gas on my block, so a whole house generator gets difficult. We'd need not only the outdoor generator but also a large outdoor propane tank. Otherwise, I agree, the whole house generator hooked up to a natural gas line with an automatic transfer switch would be very nice.

This Tripp Lite that you linked to is exactly the one I am looking at. Why does the Tripp Lite battery that "goes with it" cost almost $400?

You can use any walmart 12 volt lead acid battery. Marine gets you the longest run time. Works great. Check eBay for used. No magical battery needed. You could put them in parallel with multiple batteries. I saved half off.

Just to throw it out there in case any newer reefers are getting sticker shock reading this thread, and don't know about the good old B11

If you are on a budget and want a little bit of cheap insurance, Pen plax makes (and other companies copy for a few $ less) these great little air pumps that run on 2xD batteries, and will turn themselves on automatically when the power goes out. Less than $20 that can maintain circulation for hours, and in many cases prevent a tank crash.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000256502/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=4162056123&ref=pd_sl_3rf06s64e6_e

Just in case you didn't know.....

Back