Best heater?

Jokes

Non-member
What's the best heater you think would work with a 90gal DT and a 55gal Sump? I've also seen some folks use 2 heaters? Is that recommended?

Aquarium heaters are notoriously unreliable. Some are better than others, but no matter what type you use you are much safer if you invest in a seperate controller either temp only, or a system controller such as a reefkeeper or APEX.

I suggest the seperate controller because if a heater fails OFF, your system will cool very slowly and the contoller will alert you that the heater is not working. On the other hand, if a heater fails and sticks ON your system can get cooked fairly easily.

System controllers can seem pricy up front, but they really are very much worthwhile for all they can do and all the other piecemeal timers and other equipment that you would otherwise buy. (temp controller, PH controller lamp timers, dosing controllers/timers, and on and on.)

Back to the heater itself, it is safer if you get something shatter proof. Again, all aquarium heaters are somewhat unreliable, but if it can't shatter (and release toxins into the water) and it's on a controller, it'll be as bullet proof as is possible.

Awesome thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to have a reef controller. Just curious as to see if any heater is better than the next. Any input on whether I need more than 1 in the sump itself?

Aquarium heaters are notoriously unreliable. Some are better than others, but no matter what type you use you are much safer if you invest in a seperate controller either temp only, or a system controller such as a reefkeeper or APEX.

I suggest the seperate controller because if a heater fails OFF, your system will cool very slowly and the contoller will alert you that the heater is not working. On the other hand, if a heater fails and sticks ON your system can get cooked fairly easily.

System controllers can seem pricy up front, but they really are very much worthwhile for all they can do and all the other piecemeal timers and other equipment that you would otherwise buy. (temp controller, PH controller lamp timers, dosing controllers/timers, and on and on.)

Back to the heater itself, it is safer if you get something shatter proof. Again, all aquarium heaters are somewhat unreliable, but if it can't shatter (and release toxins into the water) and it's on a controller, it'll be as bullet proof as is possible.

Fluval e series. I have heard from many they are really good but they are expensive!

I use Aqueon Pro heaters, very good quality, and are not made of glass. I have 2 - 250w heaters on my setup, 54gal display with 30gal sump.
I have them plugged into a Ranco controller, much more precise and dependable then the heaters thermostat alone.

X2 on the Aqueon heaters, I had issues with the Deep Blue heater, it only worked for 6 months than crapped out on me.

The most reliable and stable heaters are the external thermostat ones. Then a separate titanium heater. My heater is a cheapy controller which is accurate within half a degree.

I have a Titanium Finnex HC-0800 for over a year without any issues. I would stay away from glass heater myself, but to each his own. I could have plugged just the Heater element itself to my RKE, but left the Finnex controller plugged between the heating element and RKE. Redundancy is never too much in this hobby :)

I think a lot of people like having two heaters in the tank just in case one fails, I have never done it myself. I just keep a couple of extra heaters in my back hall in case this guy fails as well.

Higor

Last edited:
I have a 75 watt Colbalt Aqautics Neo-therm on my 16 gallon and am very happy with it.

I think a lot of people like having two heaters in the tank just in case one fails, I have never done it myself. I just keep a couple of extra heaters in my back hall in case this guy fails as well.

Yes. Instead of 1 300watt people get 2 150 watt. The thinking is if one gets stuck on it will be more difficult to overheat the tank as the other will shut off when the tank is at temp also if one stays off it will take longer for the tank temp to drop.

Any heater can break no matter what it's made of. Another issue many over look is that the insulation in the wire can harden over time ( this can happen to anything submerged) and over time become brittle and crack or pull away from the heater body exposing the copper wire.

Eheim jäger is my favorite made by a highly regarded company. A lot more reliable than those Aqueon Pro or Marineland Visatherm Stealth plastic heaters. I have to pick up a controller for it because you just cannot trust ANY heater! I set the controller to 77° and heater to 75°. If either thermostat fails it still cycles, doesn't cook your tank until you can diagnose and repair. A good Blueline heater controller is $75. Most heaters stick in the "on" position ever if they say they won't. Fluval E Series are very good, very expensive, with a digital control built right in but I prefer the double protection of two thermostats, one in the heater and the other in the APEX or heater controller.

Last edited:
Like others have said I have two heaters, both would have to stay on to overheat the tank. I also have it on a controller, and I know one of my heaters is actually broken and has been for over a year. The controller will turn it on and off so you don't have to worry about it. I would also go with a titanium heater.

Good Luck

Titanium (non Finnexx...had two crap out on me)
Aqueon pro
Cobalt

in that order
Although, I really like that the Aqueon pro has a lifetime warranty....and as far as it breaking (actually physically breaking) I doubt it..for a long time anyway. I watched the Aqueon rep drive over it several times with his car...then we dropped it in a bucket an it worked like new...and I regularly smash the $**t out of them to demonstrate and they work great every time.

But I hate to admit... there is a 300w Deep Blue...not on a controller, in the Elos...I know I am stupid...and should practice what I preach....matter of fact, think I am going to head over to the shop now and take that out...lol cause just my luck it will go and fail tonight....lol

Eheim Jager into a controller.
Any heater that works will work wonderful when connected to a controller. I would not trust a heater by itself.

Back