Best material to skin a stand in?

The plywood in MDO is exterior grade, but I agree that for aesthetic reasons you should miter and glue the ends or do something else to cover any edges.

Ok, since I'm not a damn business and I can buy from a distributor who has what I want in stock on their shelves I decided to go with the mdf. I am going to seal the edges with all-purpose putty bondo and paint it. I really wanted to use that Extira product but as you may be able to tell I wasn't able to buy it today and since I want to start on this over the weekend I went with what I could get. I think it will work out fine as I'm only using the mdf for the sides and front. I'll use a plywood top, I'm considering using a 1/8" black piece of acrylic to put over the plywood top. I think it would look nice and make for easy cleanup. If for any reason I screw up the mdf I'm am going to find a lumber yard to special order me the Extira product. I've read some really good things on it. It's used a lot in outdoor sign making. I understand everyone's concerns with mdf and water, but I think if finished correctly (by sealing the edges) it will work just fine.

Nate, as far as the finishing goes...do you have any other advice other than what you said above? Skim it on and then sand it down?

Thanks everyone.

You mean with the bondo? Just use a putty knife to skim it on the edges and fill any screw holes. Then when it dries sand it down until it's smooth. It's fine if you sand it to a mottled grey/brown color - you just want it smooth.

I'm surprised you couldn't get MDO from a lumberyard? I don't know about this Extira brand name, but the MDO is pretty standard at any decent lumberyard, and most lumberyards are fine doing business with homeowners.

Thanks Nate. I wasn't looking for the MDO since I couldn't route the edges of that. I was just mad last night that I couldn't get the Extira product. There is a local distributor but they don't deal with the general public.

Oh, gotcha.

I wasn't familiar with this Extira stuff until I just looked it up now. Exterior MDF. Cool.

Did you try Boutler Plywood in Somerville? They deal with the public.

I didn't try them. I know Atlantic in Woburn is a distributer. If the mdf doesn't work out well I'll give Boutler a call. Thanks again.

Back