Best way to clean coraline off empty tank

Andy O

Non-member
What is the best way to get all of this off. I was thinking of getting one of those painter scrapers with the big razor blades in them. I am assuming the coraline will come off easier if it is wet versus dry.

Any suggestions that will allow me to take it off as easily/safely as possible would be appreciated.

I found the easiest way to clean a really crusty tank was to lay it on it's face, and pour in a couple cups of vinegar so it thinly coats the whole pane. Let it sit 5 minutes and the coraline will practically wipe off (I used a piece of acrylic to gently scrape it off without scratching). Then roll the tank to do another pane.

Thanks for the feedback. Is it bad to use a razor blade on it after the vinegar has set in?

On glass I use a razor blade in my regular maintenance. I took a piece of 1/2" pvc and made a groove on an angle at one end with a hacksaw. Then place a razor blade firmly into the groove and it takes everything off the glass without a problem.

Andy O said:
Thanks for the feedback. Is it bad to use a razor blade on it after the vinegar has set in?
It's fine, you just have to watch your angle with the razor so you don't scratch the glass. Keep it at a low angle to the glass. I don't think it's necessary though when using vinegar.

I made a similar setup as bwoolfrey described for cleaning the glass in my tank while it is set up.

Nate

How did you get the blade to stay in the pvc and about at what angle did you cut the groove.

I did the same... a typical hacksaw blade is just a little smaller in thickness than the "handle" on a razorblade. I put about a 1/3" cut at a 30 degree angle into a 1/2" diameter pvc pipe for mine. Just wedge the razorblade "handle" into the groove and your set.

If you really want an easy way, dilute muriatic acid (HCl) with water (1:1) and it will come off in seconds. No scraping needed. ;) Although you should do it in a well ventilated room, or even better, outside. Also, becareful with acid of that strength. You wouldn't want to get it in your eyes!

Back