Blown ballast, help!

s_kelley

BRS Member
So I’ve had one of my halides on my dual 250w out for a week now. I trouble shot it and it’s my ballast. Seems like a dual 250w hqi ballast is a rare thing and the ones I can find are big bucks. Anyone have a dual blue wave 250w ballast collecting dust in their basement they want to part with? Looking into a whole new fixture as well, I went led early on and wasn’t impressed but researching what’s out there

Not sure if mine is a 250watt or 400 watt. It is t marked on the ballast (has them all listed.). I will run down and check again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41b97c137431c3b362cb3079eb651d59.jpg
88ebabf33374316a0818d360d0d00ef3.jpg

Let me know if that has the right plugs/stuff

That is pfo ballast with their special plugs. Since pfo was gone for more than 10 years, it is almost impossible to find the plugs.

Ya I’d need the plugs to splice onto my cords thianks tho! Might just have to buy one but looks like they’re all discontinued. Maybe I have to go led? Hmmmm

They have the reef bright ballasts as well but I don’t think they’ll do hqi

I have 3 Lumatek 250w HQI ballasts you can have, however uncertain of their condition.
Was having issues and not sure if it was the ballasts, bulbs, sockets or fixture.............joined the 21st century, lol.

Thanks everyone for reaching out and the offers. Think I’m gonna fold and pick up some leds

Don't change to led unless you are prepared to buy 2 more fixtures than recommended by well.....everyone. or going to supplement with t5. The spread is not good on even the highest end led.

Ex. I'm putting 2x hydra 26hd over my 36x18x12 frag tank and I'm worried it won't be enough spread. There are 2 sol blues there now. The sol is a larger light. As they are dieing ai will only replace them with a 26hd though.

When my mh ballasts die (3x lumatek ) I will replace with the luxcore.

Did you ever find what you needed? I have some halide ballasts, fixtures and bulbs laying around that may work.

Chances are good that the problem is a bad igniter. I have had them go in PFO HQI ballasts in the past.
Hamilton Technology sells replacements. You have to call and ask for an hqi igniter. If you decide to try this route, please make sure whoever replaces it is licensed

Man U guys are making me think! Taking the ballast apart tonight. It’s a blue wave dual 250 they don’t even make them anymore lol, dang I’m old

Back