Blue spot jawfish- anyone seen any around locally?

Chrissy

Non-member
I'm looking for one to add to the new 29 gallon, so I was wondering if anyone has seen any at an LFS recently?

Tropic Isle in Framingham almost always has a couple. That is where I got mine from. I think Unique Aquaria also usually has 1-2 in stock.

There was one on divers den on Thursday or Friday. (I know you said local, but I'd take DD qt process over anyone else )

...stupid auto correct

thanks guys! Oceans in Glass is pretty far from me. Marshall, I'll have to check them out this week do you know how much they charge? Choff, I saw one on DD, but it's $400! ::

There was one on divers den on Thursday or Friday. (I know you said local, but I'd take DD qt process over anyone else )

...stupid auto correct

Yes...for $400! I do like Diver's Den, however I would not get too caught up in their QT process. It is better than most (in that they at least do it), but nothing that would make me not QT fish bought from them. That being said, all three of my DD purchases were excellent, and do recommend them all of the time.

thanks guys! Oceans in Glass is pretty far from me. Marshall, I'll have to check them out this week do you know how much they charge? Choff, I saw one on DD, but it's $400! ::

They are pricey, IIRC $140. You should be able to print out a coupon online though.

When you find one, examine it very carefully for any signs of cloudy looking skin. It's some odd infection that they are very prone to, and few if any recover from. Also be sure to cover your tank, they are big jumpers.

Awsome fish, but not the easiest to keep and not the best survival rate.

I hate to be a downer, but I would strongly recommend you do not attempt to keep a BlueSpot in a 29 gallon... They are tough to keep in general, but I usually recommend a 75 gallon minimum....they are like Houdini wen it comes to getting out of tanks as well. I might try a Pearly Jawfish, as they have a better track record in captivity...and usually come in a lot smaller.

-B-

...stupid auto correct

No offense...but DD does not actually do the QT process they claim on all of their Fish....I know this both from suppliers of theirs and former employees...

and even if they did "captive Condition" them...$400 is a bit outrageous...
We sell them for $100...if we were to condition one it would be $250, but we would keep it for 30 days at a minimum.

-B-

and even if they did "captive Condition" them...$400 is a bit outrageous...
We sell them for $100...if we were to condition one it would be $250, but we would keep it for 30 days at a minimum.

-B-

To be fair, the one they just listed was a xanthic "yellow" BSJ. Very rarely collected, hence the higher price tag. I actually think the normal BSJ looks better anyways. I think they usually sell them around $100-120 IIRC.

I hate to be a downer, but I would strongly recommend you do not attempt to keep a BlueSpot in a 29 gallon... They are tough to keep in general, but I usually recommend a 75 gallon minimum....they are like Houdini wen it comes to getting out of tanks as well. I might try a Pearly Jawfish, as they have a better track record in captivity...and usually come in a lot smaller.

-B-

I was trying to be subtle....

Yep, just checked it out....we sold one of those about 3 years ago to a client for $250...he still has it in his 300gal. reef. They are not too common with the all gold body like that...

Interesting, thanks for the info guys. Everything that I have read so far has stated 20-30 gallon minimum, with the exception of one article that suggested 3ft x 2 feet deep per fish. Just wondering, though...If they stay in their dens all of the time, why would a larger tank make a difference?

When I kept one it dug a tunnel complex that spread out @ 2'x3', almost the entire sandbed in my 120 looked like a big ant farm. It was pretty impressive.

That fish made me want one... but it seems like too much work after I researched it. I even showed it to Kristyn, but he looks like he moves A LOT of sand:(. Which is cool, if u plan it or have the tank for it. And I know u do Chrissy!

Good luck!

Higor

I believe I saw one at oceans in a glass.

I saw this same fish at Oceans in Glass. He looked quite healthy. It's worth the drive to buy livestock at this store - very clean tanks, nice people, and great prices. Every fish and invert we've bought here has thrived.

I have had personal bad experiences with sick fish and inverts from Topic Isle and would be very hesitant to purchase a fish there.

I won't pile on with warnings about keeping a jawfish, but I will share my own experience.

We have a Yellow Headed Jawfish in our tank and he's been VERY high maintenance. The Blue Spotted Jawfish have a reputation for being even more capricious.

Our Jawfish needs a very deep sand bed, ours is about 6" deep. You will need to ensure a foundation for all rockwork down to the glass, otherwise they'll tunnel under it which 1) wrecks your aquascape 2) can collapse and kill them. You will also need to invest in large quantities of different sized rubble to allow him to build a stable burrow (we use a mix of large gravel and reef rubble).

Our Jawfish is also afraid of the dark and if he is left overnight without lighting on his burrow, he abandons the burrow and tears up the entire tank. He has done this 2-3 times in the 9 months we have had him (first time before we figured it out, the second time when our night LED lamp failed). Whenever he is stressed, he tries to jump and can rocket right out of the water. I've seen him bounce off of our lid several times.

So, our Jawfish has been a big pain but we do love him. He's a beautiful fish and he's been stable in his burrow for 3 months now, right in the front of our display. Great colors and very active in the tank. But you should know what you're in for.

Last edited:
I have had personal bad experiences with sick fish and inverts from Topic Isle and would be very hesitant to purchase a fish there.

Sorry to hear that. I have been buying from them for 15 years now, and have gotten healthy fish (i.e. requiring no treatment) more often than not. No better or worse than any other LFS I have bought from. They do have a large selection of fish and corals though, so worth the trip either way. But as mentioned, we also have some sponsors on here that are worth the drive as well!

Back