Blue Spot Jawfish

Agamemnon

Non-member
Yes, another thread about these guys. I've been interested in getting a BSJF and have been trying to do extensive research before getting one. I have a 4" fine sand bed which I believe will be adequete. I have the glass versa tops on my 55 but need to close up the back. The tops did come with an acrylic extension to cover the remaining open back, I would just have to cut out holes for my in/out-take filter feeds. Anyone use these or would mesh be more appropiate? Maybe seasonal, acrylic in winter, mesh in summer? Also, thinking of adding some rubble pieces for this guy to construct with. I'm sure he'll find some in there but I'm geussing it won't hurt to add a little extra. Lastly, they have one at my LFS that I noticed but his spots didn't look as blue as I've seen in some photos, this concerned me a little. Not sure if others owners of this fish could comment. Is this a health concern? Or is maybe his color faded from being stressed in transport? Is it normal for their colors to brighten over time once they acclimate? Definetly don't want to get an unhealthy fish right off the bat, especially at their price. Share your experiences about this beautiful fish and thanks in advance for any advice.

I'd be hesitant if the BSJ's colors look pale or washed out. Whatever that mystery disease or poor collection/handling induced death syndrome that's frequently seen with this guys is(?), this sounds like the initial signs of it.

This is a delicate fish, don't buy one unless it looks perfect IMO / IME.

Thanks JohnK, I checked him out again yesterday and he looks much better, color normal. I'm gonna check back Sunday and might grab him up. I just did a big water change so I want to give it a couple days. It will be my first time with one of these guys, if theres anything I should know, please fire away. Thanks.

Back