Blue Spot Jawfish

sciknen

$20.00 PEOPLE, COME ON.
Hey hows it going..

Picked up a Blue Spot Jawfish at Jay's yesterday..He ate right away.. Kinda skiddish though

Today I found him in his own new burrow. Is that possible?

I thought they need a pistol shrimp paired up with them so the shrimp can dig the burrow?

Question is Do jawfish dig their own burrows?

Yes they do. I've had a couple of these and my current one is a pearly one, this one has a HUGE borrow because he carried some of the sand over to his side.

They burrow like you wouldn't believe. He'll dig up your whole tank.

Be careful, they are super prone to jumping.

my blue spot jawfish has a new burrow everyday. to answer your question yes they do build there own burrow

sweet. yea i noticed the jumping when I was acclimating him. I got the nets on top already.

I've never heard of a Jawfish pairing with a shrimp. They dig thier own burrows, very resourceful, too. I haven't had much luck with blue spots, but my red headed Jaw uses everything he can get to build the opening to his burrow, including live snails(which he repeatedly places back when they try to run away:), and corals. I had to give him a pile of rubble to build with, but now he keeps dragging a couple open brains halfway across the tank to use.
Good luck, I love the Jawfish, and they all seem to have quite the personality.

Certain species of gobies are the fish that pair with pistol shrimp.

Blue spot jawfish, IMO/IME are a pretty difficult species to keep, just thought I'd mention that for any one causually reading this thread. Very expensive, tricky to accilmate initially to your tank, and REALLy good at jumping to their death.

One of my favorite fish, jaw fish IME can be finicky to get to eat and to settle in their new tank. My jaws would find a new home every night for the first week until they settled down. Eventually took to mysis but not formula flake. They can be very squimish and nervous fish and the littlest distrubance can send them flying. Both of mine went the way of carpet surfing unfortunately. My 75 had a net over the top and 1 still found the way to launch. The other was a causualty of my tank move to a rimless aquarium. Its been a while since I saw a jawfish in a LFS but the next time I see one Ill be getting a gift for my dads tank which is enclosed. Most likely wont be a blue spot but rather a pearly (due to price) either way a jaw fish is an interesting additional to any reef/saltwater tank as long as their care requirements are met.

Literally 20m into it being in my tank it was eating a lot. Where its burrow is though the food doesn't flow there a lot so I squirt some there just for him. Beautiful fish though

MVHC

When I had mine, it would hang out by the openings of it's tunnels, but the minute mysis hit the water the jaw would shoot out like a missle into the open water, grab a mouthful, and turn tail in a flash. IMO it was super cool to see, blue pokadotted rocket shooting across the tank :)

Just keep that cover tight, mine used to end up in an overflow about once every two weeks and I think it was luck that it was never the floor.

Yea. I'm gonna redo one cover just so it fits better. Then it should be impervious.

MVHC

Back