Bristle worm attacking fish?!

Edward

IG: @ed3aquatics
BRS Member
A few minutes ago I walked by my tank, and see my male clownfish FLAILING all over the tank. I see something long hanging on to him and notice its a bristle worm. I grabbed my net and immediately was able to catch him. The worm fell off of him as soon as they left the water.

He's fine, just shaken up and only a little tear in one fin. Has anyone else had any experiences like this?

20210812_113047.jpg

Sure thats not a bobbit worm.....aweful black looking and the horns. Hard to see but thats no bristle worm. I run super aggressive tank. You may want to invest in a wrasse to get that situation under control. Feed less...set a DIY trap tonight see how bad numbers are and how big worms getting. Arrow crab will solve it also

Last edited:
Agree with everyone else, doesn’t look like a bristle worm to me. I have some monster bristle worms and for 3 years no issues with them attacking fish or corals. I just consider them a natural part of my clean up crew.

When he was attached to the clown, he was stretched out and most definitely a bristleworm. I was surprised as well, I've had saltwater aquariums for 15 years now and this is my first experience with this. Time for a new wrasse

I have a glass trap if you wanna take and use it. Works amazing. Better than diy. Less intrusive. I tie fishing line around end so i can easily bait and remove and drop it into tighter spaces. Top pops off. In the compost heap they go.

Attachments

• 20210815_090028.jpg
    20210815_090028.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 150
I have a glass trap if you wanna take and use it. Works amazing. Better than diy. Less intrusive. I tie fishing line around end so i can easily bait and remove and drop it into tighter spaces. Top pops off. In the compost heap they go.
I appreciate it a lot! I'm currently in Florida but maybe I'll reach out and borrow it once I'm back

Back