TOTM

• YES!......TOTM TOTM

Votes: 62 83.8%
  • NO!.......to much work...leave it to RC

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • EH!.......who cares

Votes: 11 14.9%

• Total voters
I'm in the who cares category. Just about all of us all know what each others tanks look like as well as their history since this is a relatively small forum. Tank of the month should be kept to RC or other massive reefing communities.

I actually haven't seen the tanks belonging to anyone on here personally. However, there's some that I would love to see after seeing pictures. Also, I've learned a lot from reading TOTM articles. People can tell about what they do, but it carries a lot more weight when you see the results.

Well said scase, that's how I feel about it. It's a great way to learn about what some people have done to have successful aquariums. It's very helpful for people just starting out and for everyone to get new ideas.

Marsha, Marsha, MARSHA!

Is it me or has Barry been a trouble maker as of late? I think it's a cry for help. :p I vote for TOTM. It'd be cool to see new articles on how reefers manage their tanks.

Me....trouble maker...........

Marsha, Marsha, MARSHA!

Is it me or has Barry been a trouble maker as of late? I think it's a cry for help. :p I vote for TOTM. It'd be cool to see new articles on how reefers manage their tanks.

lol....I was thinking about poor Jan whan I wrote that.:p

Really where's his better half.Isn't it her turn on the computer?;)

Oh dangit! I mispelled Marcia. :p

No worries. As legend has it, Jan's great aunt, or whatever she was, visits and let's Jan know just how special she really is(was). That's what I heard anyway. I wouldn't know based on personal experience since I NEVER watched the Brady Bunch when I was a kid.
whistle1.gif
I was too cool for that.

+1 I'm sure his better half is easier on the eyes too. :p

I'm for the idea... I love to look at tanks and get new ideas and thoughts about how to do mine.

I too think that smaller tanks should be considered... although maybe something more like

-90 gallons and under
-Over 90 gallons.

That way people with 500 gallon tanks arent compared to people with 55's and 75's... but on the same level i think its pretty hard to compare a nano tank to even a 40 gallon breeder...

I'm for the idea... I love to look at tanks and get new ideas and thoughts about how to do mine.

I too think that smaller tanks should be considered... although maybe something more like

-90 gallons and under
-Over 90 gallons.

That way people with 500 gallon tanks arent compared to people with 55's and 75's... but on the same level i think its pretty hard to compare a nano tank to even a 40 gallon breeder...

Maybe it could be a "Tanks of The Year" competition....instead of having it monthly, quarterly, whenever time is found. Have a sticky thread in Reef Talk where photos of tanks entered could be posted from now till sometime this summer. Than a voting thread for X amount of time, then the photos and write up could be done this fall and published early winter.

Then you could have multiple size groups to cover everybody in the club
Nano 1-20-30? gallons tanks
Small 21/31-99 gallon tanks
Large 100-199 gallon tanks
XL 200+ gallon tanks

Just throwing more ideas out there, I would really like to see some type of "Tank of The Something" going on where members nominate or submit tanks, then everybody have a chance to vote for the tank they think is best.

Maybe it could be a "Tanks of The Year" competition....instead of having it monthly, quarterly, whenever time is found. Have a sticky thread in Reef Talk where photos of tanks entered could be posted from now till sometime this summer. Than a voting thread for X amount of time, then the photos and write up could be done this fall and published early winter.

Then you could have multiple size groups to cover everybody in the club
Nano 1-20-30? gallons tanks
Small 21/31-99 gallon tanks
Large 100-199 gallon tanks
XL 200+ gallon tanks

Just throwing more ideas out there, I would really like to see some type of "Tank of The Something" going on where members nominate or submit tanks, then everybody have a chance to vote for the tank they think is best.
Great ideas good see some enthusiasm for this. I know you have no idea of what has been planned but we have thought of all of types of stuff from ghettos setup to softies tanks to nanos TOTMs.

To do a TOTM it is a minimum of 4hrs photographing of the tank (including travel time).
Another 4 hrs picking and editing the photos. Then if the person doesn't write the article you can spend 4 hrs going through their notes writing it. (We have comprised a formated system to help out with the articles)
Creating a web pages that usually takes about another 3 hrs.

So by the time you are done, add on things I have forgotten, it can easily add up to 20hrs. To add reminding people to vote and submit photos was just too much on top of just doing the TOTM.

I have tried to get people to nominate tanks and get enough to vote on but there has just never been enough interest. Many people Decline when you ask them to showcase their tanks. There are thread for nominating TOTMs.

FWIW I spent 40-60hrs on the calander each year. That doesn't include chasing down members for photos. I do not think many people look at the time frames involved in these projects. However I do enjoy doing them.

Last edited:
FWIW I spent 40-60hrs on the calander each year. That doesn't include chasing down members for photos. I do not think many people look at the time frames involved in these projects. However I do enjoy doing them.

& there are people in the shadows that really appreciate the time you spend Greg...As well as all the other volunteers!!!;)

B

Hey Greg(Delta), I can volunteer to try to help with the web page part. I am good at hand coding Html and I also have Dreamweaver loaded on my machine. I don t know if you guys use dreamweaver but it is so easy to create and publish pages to the web. I am not so good with the artistic part of web pages but the coding is no prob. LMK

Greg, I fully understand how time consuming a project like this could be. I didn't know of any ideas the club had for future ToTMish contests as I had not seen any threads mentioning them.

I didn't know there hadn't been enough interest to get enough tanks for voting. Sorry for stirring up something that doesn't work for the BRS club.

& there are people in the shadows that really appreciate the time you spend Greg...As well as all the other volunteers!!!;)

B
Thanks Brian

Hey Greg(Delta), I can volunteer to try to help with the web page part. I am good at hand coding Html and I also have Dreamweaver loaded on my machine. I don t know if you guys use dreamweaver but it is so easy to create and publish pages to the web. I am not so good with the artistic part of web pages but the coding is no prob. LMK
Thanks for the offer. It is not so much the coding at this point we do have a format, for the most part the web page is the layout and proof reading. Maybe if we can get this rolling on a regualar basis I will try and make some changes and need some help, I will let you know
Greg, I fully understand how time consuming a project like this could be. I didn't know of any ideas the club had for future ToTMish contests as I had not seen any threads mentioning them.

I didn't know there hadn't been enough interest to get enough tanks for voting. Sorry for stirring up something that doesn't work for the BRS club.
It is good to see interest and perhaps many member don't even know we have done a TOTM.

Back