Budget build 75

Markmgr

Non-member
Fairly new to the reef scene but I decided to give it a shot. It all started with a biocube 14 that I purchased from a friend because the heat wave we had in July. Then I traded a xbox 360 for a 10 gallon with live stock (now I know it was not a good deal). A man on Craigslist was giving away a 29 gallon Marineland with the filtration system in the hood with a clown fish and about 40# of live rock completely covered in green algae. I did some car work for a friend and he gave me a 75 gallon that was a sump to a 300 and a 2 t5 bulb light fixture. I cut the baffles out of the 75 gallon tank and started building a stand, knowing ALOT of people who are in no the reef hobby I asked them all what they wish they did differently with their sump. Most complained about room in the stand for sump and equipment.

I started with the stand figuring out how much room I might need to fit my 29 sump and other things. So I made the stand 30" tall. 2x4 construction to make my frame and then I wrapped it in some nice cherry wood that I pulled off a court house that I remodeled, a piece of plywood for the bottom and "BANG" my budget 75 has begun.

I'll update more in a little bit.

xPcaKMXVmCnnyuO3n2uaojOhh0YWKSGyUcEjwyZobIg

Day 1 right after I filled it, I used sand from a friend's 90 that he just broke down. And the rock from the 10 gallon and the 29 gallon
9LEQLE1GO-KeiLQ-zF3pQyuXC3FCAnzGWO_KLfV76Pc

So now you know how I built it let me tell you where I messed up, so the sand was only out of my friends tank for 3 days, so I figured ehh it is alive and I'm using all the water from my other tanks and the rock. NO NO NO, bad idea so I had stuffed all the corals into my biocube and just figured screw it everything will be fine and dropped the 3 other fish into the 75(my mocha clowns don't get along with others in the biocube) the next morning I wake up to a dead chromis and a dead yellow tang, the clown was kinda swimming in circles. Now I know the water is toxic fir life, I grabbed the clown in a net and threw him into the biocube hoping the mochas would leave him alone. Within 10 seconds they were bumping hum almost out of the tank. So I had him in a net for a while just hanging on the top. Then I had a brain storm, ran to home Depot and came up with this during a water change and some extra parts laying around.
1XMGgSeFbgZddWIs0IDSp2nvImY5aSFn5EiHJbHhf1Y

Well after the long adventure this is the semi end result. I am still trying to get ahold of a return pump, currently running a aquarion 110???? I think

81aC6uCLSrHLFyZzdXqV2PnHWGx7figjXT0Vhsjr9Ck

Back