Building 55 Gal Acrylic sump

cobra1858

Non-member
I want to put baffles in me 55 gal tank to use as a sump for my 180. Any recommendations on how many baffles to use. I was going to put in 3 or should I do more? How much space should I put between the baffles? I have never worked with acrylic before, how difficult is it? I don't want to make any mistakes and ruin my tank.

The key with baffles is to keep flow as slow as possible through them, so bubbles don't get swept through by the current. Wide channels equals slow flow. I'd probably make your baffles 2 inches apart, maybe 3 if you have the space. I'd do three baffles, widely spaced, rather than more, closer together. Your last baffle should be an under. Ending with an over doesn't do anything to prevent bubbles. I don't know how tricky it is to glue acrylic, but I'll let you know in a week or two. I'm building a skimmer. Seems pretty easy, and baffles are a good thing to practice on, because they don't really have to hold water. Since you'll have to have some gap to get teh acrylic into place, you'll probaly need to use weld-on 16, rather than the thinner stuff. You'll want to lay the sump on it's side, glue the baffles to the bottom side, let dry, then flip it over and glue the new bottom side, so you're always gluing flat.

Good luck. Hopefully others will have more experience to lend.

Nate

Thanks Nate I had planed to put the baffles close together like my other sump, but what you said about slower flow make sense. I also need to but 2 holes in it, anyone have any recommendations on drill pits, and hole saw I should use?

I believe hole saws work pretty well, but you may want to water cool the blade and go fairly slow. Forstner bits should work even better if you have them. I'm doing an acrylic project this weekend or next, so I can give you the verdict on forstners after that.

Back