Building a 125 6' Long - Safe to lay tank on it's side (curing overflow adhesive)

gweston

Non-member
I am working on a standard 125 6' Long - I have the glass drilled and it is ready to put in a custom made glass interior weir and external overflow box.

Is it safe to lay tank on it's side while the RTV100/103 (silicone adhesive) cures?

I am afraid to lay the thing on it's side and have the tank fail on me due to stress on the tank seams. I can just as well cut a few pieces of wood to size and pop it up from underneath. But I figured I'd get a better cure if I had gravity working on my side to keep things in place while it cures.

Thanks!

*this forever project may actually see some progress soon!

I laid mine on its side to drill it and to let the glass internal overflow cure(check my thread of the month for pics) and it has been fine I don't see any issue with it. Just make sure there is nothing on the floor or ground when you lay it down. It is empty and the tank is made to take a lot of weight.

Agreed, I see no concern at all. The stress of being empty and on it's back is nothing compared to having 1000 lbs of saltwater in it trying to get out :)

Back