Building a sump/refugium in need of help

Royalty

Reefer In Training
I just started to rebuild my tanks filter system. I have a few idea's but would like some help on my over all design for the pluming and the refugium chamber? I have a bunch of scrap acrylic sheets that I'm planning on using for the chambers and I have a dremel bit to shave off some of the acrylic ruff spots around the edge's for my refugium. I was wondering if there was a better way of smoothing the ends and idea's? here's what I have to work with.::

attachment.php

I just went to Lowe's this morning and picked up some PVC and equipment to get me started. I'm also in need of a skimmer that could handle a 72 bow. idk? much about equipment so if anyone can point me to the right direction I would be very thankful. I've seen that my LFS has a coralife 125 gallon coralife skimmer for $110 but I don't know how good of a skimmer that is? I'm only able to spend $150 right now cause money's tight. So if anyone here has a complete skimmer/pump and what ever it comes with around my price range please contact me. I don't really have Internet I've been using my cell to login into brs I have limited access via cell phone so I can just search the web. Anyways here's my list of stuff I have.

Sump:
Mag 7
Elite 300 w heater

Refugium:
fine sand
Live rock
cheato
trigger pods
etc

Pluming:
1 1/2'' PVC coupling Qty 2
1 1/2'' tee
1 1/2'' PVC ball valve sock
1 1/2'' PVC 90 elbow Qty 3
1 1/2''X 1/4'' bushing
1 1/2''X' PVC pipe
1 1/X' PVC pipe
1 1/2 PVC Wye

I also bought some PVC primer purple and all purpose cement. Idk? if this is salt water safe though does anyone know?

Last edited:
does anyone have an Idea if the purple primer or all purpose cement safe to use ??

Yes the primer and cement is safe if you let it cure. I can't give time for curing but I've put my pvc joints in service in less than 2 hours with no problems. You really above all else need a good skimmer, trust me I ran a 72 bow non rr for a year and a quality skimmer is the single best investment you can make to pull the crap out that may cause you to break your tank down in the end.
In short skimming is key IMO.

That said, no Coralife skimmers are not the best.. Find LFS RO/DI water for now, do water changes and save your $ for a better skimmer. What sump/fuge design advice are you looking for? There are alot of people that will chime in here once you clarify your needs/ideas.

Dremel's work ok for smoothing. Table saw w/apprpriate blade or even best someone that has CNC machine access.
The clear PVC cement is what I use for cleaner looking joints verses the purple (yes,anal-lol).
+1 on what gajopo said about the Coralife. I did not save to buy a quality skimmer when I first started and was a complete waste of $125. Know your BRS access is limited but keep yours eye's peeled for a quality used skimmer.
Basic sump/fuge has multiple compartments that house sock holder/water in, sand/rock/beneficial algae,skimmer,return pump. Do some searching for sump ideas in the BRS search column. Like I've offered before, you are more than welcome to come check out my set-up. Can even go see the one's KCA uses under there larger coral tanks.
When you glue in your acrylic just give it plenty of time to dry,DO NOT RUSH!!
Instead of using the over-the-top overflow you can look into glass-holes.com kits. Cleaner look and a little safer. I just installed two on my new 150g and it was a piece of cake.

Dremel's work ok for smoothing. Table saw w/apprpriate blade or even best someone that has CNC machine access.
The clear PVC cement is what I use for cleaner looking joints verses the purple (yes,anal-lol).
+1 on what gajopo said about the Coralife. I did not save to buy a quality skimmer when I first started and was a complete waste of $125. Know your BRS access is limited but keep yours eye's peeled for a quality used skimmer.
Basic sump/fuge has multiple compartments that house sock holder/water in, sand/rock/beneficial algae,skimmer,return pump. Do some searching for sump ideas in the BRS search column. Like I've offered before, you are more than welcome to come check out my set-up. Can even go see the one's KCA uses under there larger coral tanks.
When you glue in your acrylic just give it plenty of time to dry,DO NOT RUSH!!
Instead of using the over-the-top overflow you can look into glass-holes.com kits. Cleaner look and a little safer. I just installed two on my new 150g and it was a piece of cake.

The clear PVC cement is what I use for cleaner looking joints verses the purple (yes,anal-lol)..
I tried looking for the clear stuff at Lowe's but did locate Ill try tomorrow I want a better looking set up to? lol

+1 on what gajopo said about the Coralife..
As far as the coralife skimmer I'm glad you all mentioned it cause I was about to buy one! I received a PM from a member willing to sell me a euro reef skimmer that can handle 100 gallons I think its a RS alpha 100 model not sure tho I kinda had Internet today so I looked online for info it looks like it might work ? what do you guys think? the skimmer/return/heater chamber is only 11x11' and I have 24 inch of hight to play with? Anyways I just bought a demel 200 series with all the accessories' I need to work on my acrylic project and a 44 gallon trash barrel to throw my LR in until I finish my 72 bow rebuild.

Basic sump/refugium has multiple compartments that house sock holder/water in, sand/rock/beneficial algae,skimmer,return pump
My question really is if I should remove the led to my inlet and just leave it open so I have enough room for the skimmer I'm getting (euro-reef RS Alpha 100) or keep it I know where I should put the baffles I just never had an under the sump/Refugium I don't know how the water changes are going to be? as a matter a fact should I set up a union ball valve as a water change outlet? I started looking into Jennifer's set up and I feel in love with the over all idea of have an union ball valve as a water change outlet . I kinda want to steal a few idea's like here carbon and kalk/phos reactors made out of just regular glass filter canisters I want that. I've tried Pm and posting question to hear but I never got a reply back : (. Ill also look into glass-holes.com it sound like something I'm looking into? and as soon as my trucks on the road I'll pay you a visit. you can count on that lol.

Last edited:
Update I just got a 44 gallon rubbermaid trash barrel. That I will be using for water changes, And a demel set with grinding wheels for the acrylic sheets I have to cut.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back