Cal and alk

Chris A.

Formally toomanyfish
BRS Member
a month ago , maybe during a drunk state :eek: I must've over dosed my calcium and alk. Now the million dollar question is in a month my calcium and alk have barely moved.
I have 9 sps Frags 5 lps frags 6 head frog spawn Goni.
I dose vinegar and it's the only thing I can think of that could be bring it up.
Any ideas?:(

Maybe you overdosed the vinegar? And it then breaks down the argonites from the sand bed? Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been trying to overdose it on purpose to get my nitrates down and I can't even get a bacterial bloom

Instant ocean is low on calcium and alk right. I have reef crystals but it's to normal lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the question? Why are alk and calcium not changing?

If so I wold suggest you have very low demands. That coral (and frag is pretty subjective in regards to size) could be a huge calcium demand in a 5 or 10 gallon tank but in 300 gallons of water it might be pretty minimal.

Are things growing? If not then they aren't going to be using much...

It's only a 29 biocube ( about 21 actual gallons of water ) I'd expect it to at least drop some in a month. Even the grow out digi is almost all healed. Nothing is growing super fast but growing except for a encrusting monti I got.

If you are doing standard water changes with those small # of frags, most probably, nothing will change.

I will NEVER dose with such small amount of SPS in 21 G.

Change 3 G per week and you are done.

Until you see growth and can measure a drop in Alk, that your weekly WC is not able to replenish, there is no need dose.

Just enjoy the tank !!!

It actually went up that's were my concern came into play but I just found out that reef crystals is almost 12 dkh and 480 calcium.
I did a 5 g wc which explains the increase.
Going to buy a small container of Red Sea salt ( regular is 7.7 dkh and 420 ppm calcium ) and do a wc a week to drop it slowly.

Vinegar is Carbon Dosing, for bacterias.

If you do not have a nutrient issue, I will stop that too.

Beside, 10 Dkh is, for my taste, too much !!!! Let that Alk go down naturally.

How is it possible that with Reef Crystals you have such high levels of Alk ?

I use RC too and my levels are always at 7 dkh. In my case I have to dose to keep that value stable during the week and I do a 25% weekly WC.

My tank is full of SPS.

Can you please post a picture of your tank......thank you !

IMG_5168.PNG

I double checked it and it's at 9.5 dkh
So my mystery still remains how does it go from 9 to 11 without adding anything besides the vinegar and water change. I used two test kits as well to make sure.

Calcium is 480
Alk 10.5
Mag 1350

Those number are perfect to me.
All tanks are different. With that numbers and If your fish and corals happy and your tank dont have any algae sympton then you are good.
Even if tank has problem i still think those number are in the right expected zone anyways.

Back