Recommendations on a dosing pump for ALK and CAL

Bobbofin

Non-member
This summer I will be taking three weeks off for vacation and I'm looking for a programmable stand alone dosing pump to dispense ALK and CAL. I really only need a two head pump. The reviews I've read say the Bubble Magnus is troublesome, the GHL Profilux is expensive. Here's the list of what I've researched.

Bubble Magnus BM-T01, four head at $270 that people complain about it breaking down.
Eshopps IV-200, two head at $210 that I can't find too much info on or parts availability.
GHL Profilux PLA-0506, three head at $377 which is very expensive.
Jebao DP-2, two head pump at $75 with mixed reviews
Jebao DP-4, four head pump at $109 with mixed reviews

Looking for feedback from those who've had the pump for 3-4+ months that can give a reasonable review over the long term.
The aquarium is all set with programmable lights, ATO and Eheim auto feeder. All I need is doser and I can go away for 4-5 days and have tank on auto pilot.

Sorry no helpful advice as I've always dosed manually, however eventually will be in market for doser. Have you checked out the BRS dosers or the neptune systems DOS (though it's pretty pricey)?

Liter Meter III I was ordering the DoS, but decided against it and will just use my Liter Meter. The Dos can syphon, as it just has two rollers, not a good idea

Also considering a ReefKeeper Lite and two of the BRS 1.1ml dosing pumps. I could plug my heater and return pump in two outlets and the dosing pumps in the other two and just set them to run daily 14 minutes each to put about 15ml of ALK and CAL in the sump at different times. Are the 1.1ml pump better than those tiny ones on those all-in-one units. This whole set up would set me back $279.

The Jebao DP-4 seems like the best bang for the buck. I bought one in November but I don't have enough coral in the tank to need more than once a week alk/calc top up dose.

The jebao seems to work well, though may have some assembly issues. Folks on ReefCentral describe double-checking the dosing heads to rule out some that may be installed backwards. You could use a whole DP-4 and have it fail, buy a new one, and still spend less than the Profilux or Bubble Magus.

Folks have had good luck with the DP4 as long as it's calibrated well. Some issues with the delivery system losing siphon seem related to assembly issues with the dosing head, which appear easy to fix.

I'm looking forward to getting mine setup, though other folks here may have longer term and more relevant experience.

The Jebao DP-4 seems like the best bang for the buck. I bought one in November but I don't have enough coral in the tank to need more than once a week alk/calc top up dose.

The jebao seems to work well, though may have some assembly issues. Folks on ReefCentral describe double-checking the dosing heads to rule out some that may be installed backwards. You could use a whole DP-4 and have it fail, buy a new one, and still spend less than the Profilux or Bubble Magus.

Folks have had good luck with the DP4 as long as it's calibrated well. Some issues with the delivery system losing siphon seem related to assembly issues with the dosing head, which appear easy to fix.

I'm looking forward to getting mine setup, though other folks here may have longer term and more relevant experience.

A DP-2 is only $75 and would be perfect because I'm only going to do Alk and Cal but I am concerned about built quality.

a dp-4 has 2 heads to spare compared to dp-2 and can be had for 100, if one head fails you can just reprogram a spare head. been running one for about 4 months, no problems so far. i use 3 of the,.calc, alk, mag

I've only had it for a week, but I went with Marine Magic. There is a thread, I think on RC, that has been running for a couple of years, and the users on there seemed to like it a lot. The price was very reasonable, the replacement parts are inexpensive, and the seller has excellent customer satisfaction.

Also considering a ReefKeeper Lite and two of the BRS 1.1ml dosing pumps. I could plug my heater and return pump in two outlets and the dosing pumps in the other two and just set them to run daily 14 minutes each to put about 15ml of ALK and CAL in the sump at different times. Are the 1.1ml pump better than those tiny ones on those all-in-one units. This whole set up would set me back $279.

I have been using this setup for almost a year and a half and has been working without any problem. After a year and pumping around 30 ml per day the pumps kept their rating.

There is one trick. You need to connect to the RKL plug some thing that use at least 10-20 wats, if not it can stay ON and the pumps will pump all day.

I plugged 1 small 20W bulb + the pump to each plug of each pump. When the RKL stops, is able to detect the change in power and the circuit will shut-off and pump stop.

Bottom line: do not plug just the pumps alone.

Sorry for my lack of technical words. If you go for this system PM me and I can send pictures of the setup.

Last edited:
I have used the Liter Meter for about 4yrs now, with ZERO issues. They are a little expensive, but you don't have to worry about them, or plug anything into it.

Derek

I have both jebao dp4 and the marine magic. I ran the marine magic for months with very little problems and only switched to the dp4 because I wanted 4 dosing heads.
The marine magic and dp4 both work great and are definitely the best bang for your buck. Very easy set up and the dosing heads can easily be changed out if anything does happen.
I've read that some people buy the marine magic and then switch out the dosing heads for bubble magnus ones because they're better. I never felt the need to do this because mine works great.
The only problem I had really with either unit was the marine magic came with a bad power supply and when the seller sent me another brand new power supply it also didn't work. But since it's just a wall wort I had 20 of them laying around and I picked a good one and problem fixed.
I was saving the marine magic for a future tank but if your interested in a second hand one shoot me a PM....

Ive got the Aqua Medic one but not hooked up as the progam is very confusing. I want to dose cal and Alk. If anyone have any input on setting this up please let me know.

Definitely going to buy a Apex Jr before summer vacation season and a couple BRS dosers. I do have a question. Are the Drew's dosers much better than the BRS 2-part 1.1ml and is the $20 extra each worth it?

Another option I thought about was to buy two high quality replacement pumps for a GHL or other doser, put them in a project box and power them with a plug in transformer plugged into the Apex. It would cost me $75 to do that plus I get to DIY. It would save me $125.

Last edited:
I have the bubble Magnus and I use it for mag alk and cal and I like it alot

Gonna buy a Apex Jr. before summer and a couple of dosing pumps. Looking at BRS Drew's dosing pumps or another alternative because they're much more robust than the tiny ones. Having the Apex will let me do more than just dose. The cost of the Apex Jr. plus the pumps would be about $400.

Check out the Apex dosing programming tool. http://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php/

Last edited:
I use 2 of the Drew's Dosers and separate ~$10 outlet timers for each one. I have an Apex, but have never bothered programming it and using two of the Apex's programmable outlets because it's has worked flawlessly for almost two years without it. The Drew's Dosers have 4 rollers compared to the $80 BRS ones. I would highly recommend one with 4 rollers for the small additional cost.

Joe

What ever you use, just make sure the software can calibrate the amount the pump is actually dosing. Depending on the length of the tube, head pressure, vicosity of the fluid, the software will have to compensate for them.

I used two drews dosers for 5 years to dose Alk and Calc. Both were setup on programmable timers for 8 times per day. You will constantly have to adjust and re-adjust the timers. The longest I ever went was 2-3 months before I had to re-adjust. You are always guessing on exact ml dosed and performing math to adjust each individual dose.

I switched over to the Pacsun dosing system and it rocks! You calibrate it, put in total ml pe day, and # of doses per day. BOOM! This thing is spot on and doses exact amount every time and is way easier to reprogram.

It is like every other piece of equipment; Spend the money now or spend the money later for something you should have bought the first time...

Back