Calcium Reactor Recommendation

fanaglethebagle

Not-so-old Sea Dog
It's about time I finally look into getting a calcium reactor for my system. The water volume is ~450 gallons. Does anyone have any recommendations for brands, media, and other tips?

IME course media is much better than fine. It's too easy for fine to turn to mush if you get the PH a little too low.

Otherwise most reactors are pretty similar, so I'd suggest keeping an eye out for a deal on a used one.

Sorry to jump your thread but does anyone know what advantages a dual chamber have over a signle chamber?

Also, I heard that the reef octopus has a nice reactor for the money but am not sure myself how it performs.

A duel chamber will help raise the pH back up a bit before the effluent goes back into the tank as well as giving a bit more supplimantation form disolving a bit more media.

What size is the actual display or volume that will house corals? This is a case where the bioload is the important factor, not system gallons. A 400 gallon sump that is on a 50 gallon tank does not use up calcium or alkalinity.

Ditto on the Vertex. Best I've seen The RX6 Duo is what I have and I have about the same volume as you.

A duel chamber will help raise the pH back up a bit before the effluent goes back into the tank as well as giving a bit more supplimantation form disolving a bit more media.

What size is the actual display or volume that will house corals? This is a case where the bioload is the important factor, not system gallons. A 400 gallon sump that is on a 50 gallon tank does not use up calcium or alkalinity.

180 display, with a 40 frag tank and 27 that just need lights, and a 90 gallon eel tank that might have coral eventually.

vertex does seem to make quality equipment overall.. i've never used their CA reactors though.. nor have i seen one.

I'm really impressed by the geo calcium reactors personally. One that i wouldn't recommend are the Myreefcreation style ones.. i had one.. and hated it. A lot of them go by a different label than MRC, but if you look at the construction, it's identical.

Huh?

What don't you like about the MRC reactors? (other than the owner might be creepy)

I've only seen good craftmanship on MRC products.

Huh?

What don't you like about the MRC reactors? (other than the owner might be creepy)

Have you ever owned one of the CA reactors? The pvc fittings we're cheap, i've over tightened one slightly and it cracked.. whatever no big deal that's an issue with a lot of products... found a new one and used teflon tape, and it was fixed.

Next issue i had was the lousy mag return pumps they are set-up to be driven by... i guess that's not really an issue with MRC, more with the pump they recommend you use on there reactors (mag 2) .. don't even get me started on that pump.. it's just horrible.

Next issue i had was with was the hose barb that connected to the co2 tank.. it was faulty. I was leaking co2 out of it for about 3.5 months before i realized. I knew something was up when my co2 canister was empty after 3 months, on a tank that should have had relatively small calcium carbonate needs... on a hunch i replaced that valve and the PH in the effluent chamber dropped from 6.7 to 5.4! Doh!

Maybe i just ran into one with issues... but i certainly wouldn't buy again.

Edit: Although in fairness to the company.. i did buy it used. :)

Last edited:
Huh?

I have to agree with John. What didn't you like about it? I've had an MRC-1 for years and never had an issue. I am now upgrading to the MRC-2.

Huh?

I have owned a MRC CA2 for a couple of yrs. Never had a problem with it.

That was a long time ago. Maybe quality has declined?

Huh?

I have owned a MRC CA2 for a couple of yrs. Never had a problem with it.

That was a long time ago. Maybe quality has declined?

Well, I guess it's wrong to technically dis on MRC... as my calcium reactor was labled "blueline aquatics".. BUT.. it was identical in configuration to the MRC1.

Like i said, maybe i just got a bad product.. could have been a bad batch, or could have been because i bought it used.. or who knows, maybe it was cheaper material and that's why it was under a different brand name?

I love my Lifereef LCR2 The only thing that i'm not crazy about is the Mag 2 driving it. As soon as it needs an impeller or just fails i'll be replumbing it for a quiet pump. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad pumps if you can deal with the noise level and hum ,or have a remote sump. I'm limited in the fact that my sump has to be located under in the stand. I don't think the landlord would appreciate me doing alterations to a closet or drilling holes in the floor.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of GEO Calcium Reactors. I had a Korallin, but prefer the GEO.

Last edited:
I've heard good things about Geos also. A little high on the price point.

I hear alot of things about the Mag pumps but my MRC-1 has been driven by one for years and I use a Mag-12 as a return pump. I've had it in use for five years and have never even cleaned it. Works just fine. I also use a Mag-3 for water changes. NO issues there either.

I looked at the Vertex. Looks like a sweet reactor. Might get me one of those one of these days! :)

yeah, Mike had a K2R (is that where you got it btw?) and it was a great little reactor..

kept up with his 92 gallon corner quite well.. although it might be a bit small for a 180 gallon plus other potential tanks with coral? Don't know..

yeah, Mike had a K2R (is that where you got it btw?) and it was a great little reactor..

kept up with his 92 gallon corner quite well.. although it might be a bit small for a 180 gallon plus other potential tanks with coral? Don't know..

yup it's mikes

Back