Cap growth

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
Will a cap grow to a rock? In other words do you HAVE to glue it to a rock? Or can you kind of pin in between a couple rocks to get it to stay...

Nice! Just don't have good luck glueing things lately... And I am using Crazy Glue Gel...

In tank I find the two part epoxies work better. But superglue does work.
Are you using the Gel type or just regular superglue

With both you have to work into the rockwork. Once you get it you will stop swearing at your tank :p ;) JK

Mike check out the Boston Aqua Farms glue kits. John has excellent product and it put an end to my glue frustrations.

He's a sponsor here.

i just stuck my orange cap between 2 rocks, with in a week it was stuck, but like Greg said it cant have any movement... :)

Mike check out the Boston Aqua Farms glue kits. John has excellent product and it put an end to my glue frustrations.

He's a sponsor here.

I'll due that.... Thanks Ray

One of my problems is a Lawnmower Blenny that likes to rest on everything I try to glue to the rockwork

I used to get so mad Mike when snails were knocking over my corals.

Once you figure it out, 2 part epoxy is good.

I always strip any plugs off to reduce the chance of hitchikers and epoxy the direct coral. If it is a coral I cant direct glue, I mount to my own marco's rubble and then epoxy.

I use superglue for mounting corals to rubble like zoos, sps etc.

Do you ever get to the point where you stop swearing at your tank?

I am a week or two church mouth, and a day or two swearing like a trucker:D

Mike, I thought it was cool when my first orange cap from Don started to encrust. I used white epoxy so I could see it encrusting over it. I am sure those new findings are exciting times you can never replicate again so just enjoy it.

You have Marco's right? Depending on how you want the cap to grow, you can jam it in somewhere good, but I like to add epoxy even after that. There is nothing more that pisses me off than losing a coral behind the rocks:rolleyes:

With both you have to work into the rockwork. Once you get it you will stop swearing at your tank :p ;) JK
Your not kidding & so very true!!!! When I'm mounting or remounting in different locations I still swear.....We all do!!!!Doesn't matter how long we've been reefen nor if we got down the technique.....It still happens to me sometimes....& boy...Do I get mad!!! (my wife hates it!!):eek:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer... but I'll ask anyways, A cap will grow even if it's not attached to anything, right?

Not so much. In my experience corals grow much much faster when they're firmly encrusted. I've never tried to grow stuff floating in weightless suspension, but I have noticed that most frags don't grow axially at all until they've put down some growth on their substrate. Then they seem to get secure enough to start growing at the tips.

Just need to remember. Once the cap is growing on the rock or any rock work it is touching it will forever be encrusted to it. I have purple, green and red Monti caps all growing on rocks from previous reaquascaping projects.

Back