Carbon in PhosBan Reactor question

jdeb101

Non-member
I just picked up a Two Little Fishies PhosBan Reactor along with some BRS Rox Carbon. I'm a little confused on best way to fill the reactor with it, and also concerned that the carbon is too small and will get past the sponges that come with the reactor. From my research it appears that I just toss the recommended amount of carbon at the bottom of the reactor and let it sit there loosely, but I feel like it should be packed somewhat tight right? Can anyone with experience here help?

TIA!

I have some of that Rox carbon and it is SMALL and I'm sure easy to clog and pass through open type sponges. If you pack it too tight water will have difficulty passing through but on the other hand too loose and it will grind up. I would just place it between two fine sponges not too tight and go with it.

Jim

i run rox carbon (using a filter bag) on a hang on tank mechanical filter and it works perfect. easy to change and clean

There are screens you can get to convert it to a biopellet reactor. I have the 550 phosban reactor. Tried running it with carbon and bio pellets with a mj 1200. I can't get the thing to work. The screen does work to keep them from getting everywhere. But if you can figure it out pass it on. I gave up and put the carbon back in pantyhose and tossed it back in my fuge area I have for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some of that Rox carbon and it is SMALL and I'm sure easy to clog and pass through open type sponges. If you pack it too tight water will have difficulty passing through but on the other hand too loose and it will grind up. I would just place it between two fine sponges not too tight and go with it.

Jim

I run Rox carbon in a reactor as well utilizing the same method with the Rox in between two sponges. Seems to work well and never had any issues.

I just picked up the same reactor. I thought the same thing you did. I youtubed the reactor to see what other people were doing and I am just mixing carbon with a phosban. Don't pack it tight the phosban needs to tumble. When I re fill the reactor ever couple weeks or so I run about 5 gallons of water from my tank through it first and it clears most of the loose stuff out.

I run Rox carbon in a reactor as well utilizing the same method with the Rox in between two sponges. Seems to work well and never had any issues.

I have a spare sponge from one of my rodi filters that I'll cut a hole in the middle for the tube to slide through and use that at top to prevent carbon from entering my system.

I have both sizes of the phosban reactor and I tried running them both with bio pellets, I gave up because they always clumped up. As for the carbon if you are worried about it getting through the sponges (I had same thought) just buy some carbon filter pads ($5 for a 12x24" piece) trace the top of the canister onto the carbon. Cut out the circle and put a small x in the middle for the flow tube in the canister to pass through and use that to secure the carbon so it won't get back in your sump. Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I can add pictures

I have both sizes of the phosban reactor and I tried running them both with bio pellets, I gave up because they always clumped up. As for the carbon if you are worried about it getting through the sponges (I had same thought) just buy some carbon filter pads ($5 for a 12x24" piece) trace the top of the canister onto the carbon. Cut out the circle and put a small x in the middle for the flow tube in the canister to pass through and use that to secure the carbon so it won't get back in your sump. Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I can add pictures

Makes sense and what a great idea to use carbon pad rather than sponge. Now what might be a dumb question, since I won't be filling the entire reactor with carbon, does it matter if I pack the carbon at bottom or top? I would think since water is pushing upwards it would be better to have bottom half empty and top half with carbon, right?

I would recommend using a more coarse carbon if you're going to use the Phosban reactors. I've had good luck running Marineland cheapo carbon in it for 2-3 years. You'll want to pack it in and thoroughly rinse out all the fines before you put it on the tank. I usually rinse the carbon, pack it in the reactor, then run the reactor into a bucket of water for 15 minutes to clear out all the fines.

If you do want to run a tiny pelletized carbon like the ROX, you can purchase finer screens for the reactors which I'd recommend using in addition to the stock sponges:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H85PCY

These do work to allow running a finer grain material without it escaping, but at the expense of losing some flow through the reactor. Also, these didn't fit my 150 out of the box - you need to cut them down to size. Kind of a pain. If I were on the east coast I would give you a pair if you wanted to try them out, but I'm in the bay area now.

Back