Catching a purple tang

PSU4ME

BRS Member
I would appreciate some advice on how to catch a purple tang. He is in a 120 with a good amount of sps and I feel bad for him as I think he is getting crowded.

How would you go about getting him out?

Leave a clean net in the tank for a few days till she gets use to it. Then when she is more comfortable scoop her as gently as possible. Sucks having to look at a net in the tank but I have done this before a few times and it seems like the easiest way.

Use trap unless safest way to not hurt them. Put food in and in time he will eventually go in. But do not miss otherwise it will take even longer each time

unless the fish it out of the rock work after lights out(late night no room light either) then it is fairly easy to scoop them out. You shine a flash light on them then scoop them, flashlight disorients them and they never see the net coming.

Last edited:
I'll have to give it a shot, best for the tang to find a new home.

Anybody got a fish trap if the net doesn't work?

if you know where it sleeps and it is in an accessible spot with a small net, you can wait 'til it's asleep in pitch darkness, shine a bright flashlight on it. The shock usually makes the fish stunned and won't move. Ive guided a yellow tang out in a net with this method. Wont work if it is in a tight spot with alot of rocks tho.

I do, but I doubt you'd like the drive

Thank you, i'll let you know :)

if you know where it sleeps and it is in an accessible spot with a small net, you can wait 'til it's asleep in pitch darkness, shine a bright flashlight on it. The shock usually makes the fish stunned and won't move. Ive guided a yellow tang out in a net with this method. Wont work if it is in a tight spot with alot of rocks tho.

Bugger sleeps under a ledge in the back, smart i tell yeah, smart!

For sure the light shock method works well if the fish is not down in the rock. It can go extremely easily. I used to remove a male pregnant Banggai cardinal once per month with this method for more than 12 months in a row with no issues and little stress.

Freakit gave me a trap but I haven't tried yet........i may be able to try the light shock though......i'll try to leave the net in there and use a mag light.....he sleeps in one of two place but lately he has been over on the side lately.

Would you suggest leaving the night lights off to "amplify" the shock?

Freakit gave me a trap but I haven't tried yet........i may be able to try the light shock though......i'll try to leave the net in there and use a mag light.....he sleeps in one of two place but lately he has been over on the side lately.

Would you suggest leaving the night lights off to "amplify" the shock?

Wouldn't hurt to do so.

Trap has worked best for me. Reduce the amount you feed for 2 days then put some flake inside trap. You'll see him get closer and closer then eventually go in. Once you see him inside you can then put the trap door on. Feed again then release trap door once he is inside. You may have to hide somewhat after putting food inside. Good Luck. Great fish.

If food in the trap doesn't work try putting a mirror in the trap. Tangs are really smart so food doesn't always work. Put a mirror in there and make him think there's another purple tang in the tank! Boom he'll be in there trying to tear that thing up.;)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the idea.......I need to get some time to do this.......newborn babies take all your time :)

Back